Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 169

moodydavid16, BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, zpackard, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Converting from 6V to 12V '48
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
It was 100 degrees this past Friday , the wife and I attended and entered our '53 Clipper in a local car show that the Starke Chamber of Commerce sponsers on the last Friday of every month except for the months of Dec, Jan, Feb and March. I'm not sure why they don't include those months since temperature wise, they are really the ideal months for cruising here in north Florida. I'm 8th generation Floridian and grew up here without air conditioning in the schools I attended, the house I grew up in or the cars I rode in and although driving the old Clipper is a pleasure beyond words, I will say that if someone just happened to come up with a pre-packaged bolt on 6 volt AC system for the old Clipper that would mount up with minimal modifications then I must admit that I would be interested in the conversion...blame it on a combination of advancements in technology and age.

Posted on: 2012/7/2 7:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
the power gen alternator gives you both worlds ,itza 6v pos ground alternator and works just great ,also theres a pertronix point eliminator the the 6v pos cars too and a big napa 7212 battery with 1000cchr of 6v

Posted on: 2012/7/9 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
A NAPA 7212 will not fit a 22nd/23rd series Packard without major modification or replacement of the battery tray and hold-down.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 14:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
If you are rewiring it, I'm sure you know all the extras that go with a 6 to 12v conversion. Mainly lights, gauges, relays, radio, motors, ignition and horn.

I did it to my 54 some years ago. I changed to negative ground and used a 100a 1 wire Delcotron with pertronix igition. At the time I was thinking of making it a daily driver and installing a modern Air Conditioner. Well that never happened and I could have left it alone. I did my conversion before I found this board and it's wealth of knowledge.

Save all your 6v stuff for the next guy, I did.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 20:42
1954 Packard Pacific
1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved