Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '56 Patrician Diff Pinion Seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Righto, time for that update I promised. My seal and bearing seller ordered seal #CR15788, which is what we agreed was right for the job, but what was delivered was a National #5778, which was also on the list of options. I was concerned that I might end up with some inferior Chinese made clone but according to the box, this seal was made in good old USA so that's all good, and it tells me that there are at least two seal numbers that will work downunder.

The next step was to remove the tailshaft yoke and then the old seal. With the help of an air tool, the yoke undid reasonably easily and with a tap or two, came right out. The seal was a different matter as it's hard to get behind to dislodge it. I decided to use a heavy duty screw driver and was starting to swear a bit when it shot out and nearly hit me in the eye. Turns out it's a Victor #49161 with somewhat brittle sealing material. Anyway, with some help from a large socket, the new seal went in although trying to keep it straight wasn't easy, but I think it's in pretty good now.

The yoke sealing surface looked a little shitty and I was contemplating fitting a speedi sleeve. That is, until I decided to clean it up and it looked good with no serious wear grooves, so I ditched that idea (see before and after photo's - sorry, the after isn't as clear). Refitting was harder than removal and I tightened it using a 2' breaker bar and socket. Trying to line up the marks I had put on the shaft, nut and yoke turned out to be a little difficult, made harder by lying on my back. I think I got it pretty right in the end, although the nut may be a fraction tighter than before. I reckon it would be less than 1/32" so hopefully that won't matter. I couldn't refit the tailshaft as I wanted to replace the bolts but forgot to buy them so will do that tomorrow. Regards, John

Attach file:

jpg  (78.55 KB)
237_4fe819901c4fa.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (42.75 KB)
237_4fe819ae41762.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/6/25 2:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
I can now report the job's done. I topped-up the oil and tried to clean off the underbody protective coating recently applied by the diff yoke, but it all became too hard in the end so I settled for a wipe over (no one else can see it anyway). I was also thinking about regreasing the rear uni joint, that is until I realised it doesn't have a grease nipple fitted - surprisingly, has never had one. I could have removed two of the caps on applied some grease to them but that would be only doing half the job so I guess I'll wait until the uni needs replacing, hopefully never. Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/6/26 1:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I was also thinking about regreasing the rear uni joint, that is until I realised it doesn't have a grease nipple fitted

Typically OEM and NOS universal joints didn't have a grease fitting, NORS usually did.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Looks like our throw away society started earlier than I thought! I'd much rather give a uni joint an occasional squirt of grease to prolong its life than have to remove the tailshaft to replace a worn one. Ah well, as Ned Kelly (one of our early bushrangers - outlaws) is reputed to have said when mortally wounded "such is life".

By the way, I tried to insert an item in the X-Ref about the National #5778 seal and some other stuff but it wouldn't accept it. I don't think it was because of the deodorant I'm wearing so it must be for some other reason.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 0:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The universals on my 34 which I'm confident are original both have grease nipples but in at least one reference Packard said to lubricate with heavy oil, not grease. I suspect the reasoning was that, as oil leaked out from around the cork seal the centrifugal force from shaft rotation would "feed" new oil from the little reservoir in the center of the joint out to the needle bearings. Grease would be too immobile for that.

Dropping the driveshaft to clean and repack the front and rear universals on a 55/56 isn't really that much of a chore. Randy Berger just did his (more recently that I did mine) and he might comment on the time required - I'd guess about 1.5 hours and doing that once for every 25,000 or so miles isn't really much of a chore, at least IMO. Would I prefer a grease fitting for rear? Yes, but I'd still be dropping the shaft every 10 years or so to clean, inspect and repack the front ball & trunnion.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Owen, that's good advice and something I should have a go at too. What deterred me the other day was that two of the caps in the rear uni are pressed into the tail shaft fitting, and I don't have a press to work on them. How did you manage yours - knock them out, regrease and then press back in? If there's an easier (better) way of skinning the cat then I'd certainly get back under and do it. Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/6/27 18:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You can use two different size sockets and a large vise to press out the two rear bearings - AFTER you remove the circlips I did have the advantage of a tool to press them out.
Carefully remove and wash all the needle bearings one cup at a time and repack them. I like the newer blue grease as water will not wash it away.
Do likewise with the front trunnion. Do not overpack the grease there. That should sustain you for 25K at least.
Owen is about right on the money for time.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 22:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Randy. I'll have to check again tomorrow but my recollection is that the two pressed in caps aren't locked in by a circlip, but I could be mistaken. I had gotten the impression that they are a force fit and that removing them wouldn't be easy and certainly not by using a vice and hand tools. Hopefully I've got that wrong and my setup is similar to yours and I can manage it my workshop (shed). Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/6/28 4:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

Don't know how similar or dissimilar '41 120 uni joints are to those in your Pat but mine were replaced earlier this year, see this this post from the Wade's Workshop blog in case it's of some assistance. Getting the captive housings out of the tailshaft's grip was the hard part. There were circlips there, well the '41 had 'em, maybe yours are covered in grime or grease?

Posted on: 2012/6/28 4:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Mal, that's very interesting. The diagram in the '56 manual shows circlips on the outside of the caps but your pics show the circlips on the '41 are on the inside, so I'll definitely check that out as well. Also, I see your new uni joint does have a grease nipple and I'm starting to think along the lines that if I have to knock out the uni fitted now to regrease it, maybe I should fit a new one with a grease nipple and be done with it for now and the future. I'll just have to work out what and where. Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/6/28 22:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved