Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 232

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

info on 12 volt starter needed
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gregor
See User information
hello
can anybody tell me . wath starter 12 volt would fit on my 53 patrician . it was 6 its now 12 volt
thanks
gregor

Posted on: 2012/6/29 1:18
1938 chevrolet Sports Coup? 1953 packard patrician 400
 Top  Print   

Re: info on 12 volt starter needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Maybe you could get a 12 Volt armiture and put it in your starter Housing?

Does anybody know if The number of windings in a 6v is different than in a 12v starter armiture?

Reckless spekulation here

Posted on: 2012/6/29 2:16
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe both field and armature would be different but can't swear to it. Perhaps Jason might have an answer to that question.

I'm still wondering if there is anyone with accessible parts who could compare the two or try sticking a V8 starter in a S8 (or vice-versa) to see if it bolts up or meshes.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 11:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Actually, the field coils are really the only set of windings to be concerned with when converting to 12 volts. The armature windings are fine for 6 or 12 volts. Gregor, you would be better off converting yours to 12 volts versus finding a 12 volt replacement. What is your reason for converting to 12 volts if I may ask? If it strictly starters performance, than I may have some other suggestions to try first. A) your 6 volt starter just may need a rebuild or B) I could install 6 Volt High Torque field coils in your starter providing additional torque and RPM while keeping the original 6 volt system. I've done this for many customers and they are always more than satisfied with the results. As always feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns.

Posted on: 2012/7/4 11:45
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
I have never personally done this but I have heard that a 6v started will work just fine with a 12v system. The wires in a 6v are usually much thicker than in a comparable 12v part so their shouldn't be a problem.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 5:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I have never personally done this but I have heard that a 6v started will work just fine with a 12v system. The wires in a 6v are usually much thicker than in a comparable 12v part so their shouldn't be a problem.

It will work and many here are running theirs that way. The downside is the 6v motor has considerably more speed and torque running on 12v. Good for a quick and rousing engine start but can get interesting in a hurry and at really inconvenient times.

More than one person here has felt the side effect of the more aggressive starter. An exploded Bendix, teeth broken off the ring gear and the nose of starter motor housing shattered or broken when the Bendix assy slammed into it once too often.

IMO, it's one of those things that might do for a short term while more pressing things needed attention but would be right at the top of the list to eventually get right.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 9:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, I've never run a Packard I8 on 12V for an extended period, but I've run Studebaker I6 and V8 as well as tractors. Their starters functioned for years on 12V. As previously mentioned, they spin over smartly.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/11/26 20:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved