Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 199

moodydavid16, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Made the Plunge
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Lynn - when you drop the pan, you may have to bump the engine over with the starter (just remove the coil wire) so that the crank will clear. Or you might get lucky and not need to. Also, you may need/want to remove the steering linkage to make things easier. If at all possible, find a friend with a lift - much easier than crawling around on the floor. Ask me how I know.....

Posted on: 2012/7/12 10:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Hey, gratz on the find, she looks sweet! I have a '54 Patrician, and am always up for a kibbitz (on rye with a bit of mustard, of course!)

Posted on: 2012/7/14 20:33
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

LynnFauth
See User information
Thanks to all who posted: Randy Berger, Oxstatman, Jim L., Gator, Ross, Packard8, Rocky46, Portlandon, 54Clipper, David Grubbs and Bobby. You welcomed me! Portlandon said I may have "a real peach," and inspection after getting it into the garage has me thinking he's right.
The undercarriage is undercoated and frame, differential, suspension, and brake backing plates are painted gloss black--no rust evident, save for one hole near the right fender skirt--visible only from under the car. New trunk hinges; engine's repainted; new freeze plugs and very little oil stain; transmission exterior is clean and painted grey. Drained oil, while black, showed no foreign materials; coolant was a bit murky but not rusty. I've fixed the thermostat housing leak--no gasket, and no thermostat! I'm filling it up later today, starting the car to flush the cooling system. I've ordered gaskets for engine and trans pans from Packard Pete; when they come, I'll drop the trans pan and clean it and filter and drain converter. What sort of fluid should I put in it--will Type F do? Any suggested brands, other than B&M Trick Shift? WalMart has Rotella pretty cheap, so I think I'll go with that once I flush the oil system out after running it for awhile with the new oil I filled it with yesterday.
Attached to the grille is an Antique Automobile Association "National First Prize Winner" badge from 1987. Should I chase this down to get info on previous owners? If it's a 1980s restoration--given the re- paintings, with intact and sound-appearing rubber bushings in the suspension and in the body mounts--the peach appellation may be appropriate. It does need new seat covers, new tires--the L 78 Remington Wide Whites are quite cracked, although they hold air. Brakes will be bled, as will the diff. I'm planning on the trek to Laughlin in November.
My grandson thinks it's cool. That's good enough for me.
Thanks again for the welcome.

Posted on: 2012/7/17 17:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Hey, I'll respond first here, maybe I'll move up higher in your list of thanks..:>

Anytime someone scores something that makes them feel good, it's a real peach, this is why we get up and go/went to work, so doubble gratz for being able to appreciate what you've got! I like x 2.

I have a cherry, unrestored '54 Patrician. FWIW, I did as you, dropped the pan, etc. Filled with Rotella T 15w-40. this is good b/c it's a higher detergency to gently clean the crud from years of non det oil and just sitting there. Fram C134PL oil filter from Rock Auto for $4.99 and you're golden.

There's some disagreement on ATF, but I ran both Type F and Dex III and the Dex is the clear winner for me. Packard specs Type A, so it's a toss...but I've found the Dex shifts better/smoother when both cold and hot here in S. New England, although I don't think either will 'Hurt' the trans. Just flush, and refill a few times to make sure you've emptied out the converter completely, maybe consider dropping the valve body and cleaning that, too (it's outside the pan, easy to get to).

Pull the wheels off and make sure the brake cylinders are Ok and not leaking (for safety's sake), and doubble check the master/booster to see it's not leaking or otherwise corroded.

There's always something to do with any old car, no matter how well sorted out it seems. Just prioritize based on safety and convenience and you'll be Ok.

Vroom!

Posted on: 2012/7/17 18:26
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Lynn for including your '53 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Registry. By the way, I added in the photo you posted at the start of this thread.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 2:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

LynnFauth
See User information
Thanks Ozstatman. I registered it from a computer that did not have any photos in the memory and was going to add it right now, but you've beat me to the punch.

Incidentally, as you might notice from the data, I discovered that the car has the power antenna--that along with the Packard spotlights and Dealer-installed sunvisor makes it a fairly well-equipped 53.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 8:14
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packard666
See User information
Lynn:
If you need a good Packard man to go over your car head to tail professionally, I highly recommend Mike Gossard's Garage at the Murphy Auto Museum in Oxnard. He has worked on all 6 Packards I've owned over the past 10 years and can do ANY work that's needed. And he's HONEST!
Hope to see you on the November Las Vegas trip.
Orv Madden-Santa Barbara

Posted on: 2012/7/18 12:51
1948 Station Sedan
1948 Custom 2 Door Club Sedan
1953 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I've run Type F in my '51 Packard 200 Deluxe Ultramatic for the past year and a half and while it took a while (the car had sat for some time before i bought it) she now shifts almost as smooth as my '90s Lincoln TC. I drained the transmission and torque converter then dropped the transmission pan and cleaned it and the pickup screen before refilling with Type F. I have no idea what was used before I got the car.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 13:33
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

LynnFauth
See User information
Orv:

thanks for the recommendation of the mechanic; I work in Oxnard so I'll give him a call.

I'm aiming to have the car well road ready for the Nevada adventure in Nov.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 8:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved