Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Made the Plunge
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

LynnFauth
See User information
A few weeks ago I posted, asking for information on a 53 Mayfair. Prospect of it having too much rust, and being 2000 miles away in Minnesota, caused hesitation. It looked interesting with some extra chrome on the rear quarter, and 300/400 tail lights. The presence of a head in the front seat, a floor shifter, and an extra engine made it seem a bit of a gamble, especially considering the rust and distance. Thanks to all who helped me sort things out.

I looked locally--Southern California. First, I looked at a 53 Clipper Touring Sedan, 2 tone, Ultramatic, wheel covers, fender skirts. A nice car but it had a bit too much rust, and the interior needed major work, but it was a decent driver. Some title issues caused me to blink.

I followed up yesterday by buying a 53 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan--Galahad Green Top, Orchard Green bottom, with factory (dealer installed?) sun visor, fender skirts, and factory spot/sideview mirror combos. It appears to be an old restoration--there's a 1987 Historic Cars Winner badge affixed to the grille. The guy I bought it from said he bought it from a police auction--his story was that an old guy died and willed it to Police Youth League and they sold it to this guy. It hasn't been driven in 2 yrs, so he had to put a new battery in it, and I'll have to catch payments up with the DMV! It started, and I drove it a couple of miles. Needs to have the radiator flushed and a new thermostat.

I'm trailering it to my house on Thursday. Before driving it I figure I need to flush the radiator and replace the thermostat, flush the engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, and hypoid oil. Any suggestions on type/brands of oil/fluids to use, and hints on doing the work? I'm recently retired, a veteran of 2 yrs of H.S. Auto shop half a century ago, and reasonably mechanically inclined, so I think I can do some of the work. Hopefully I'm not too dangerous with intention exceeding ability!

I'd appreciate suggestions/gentle hints, etc. I'm in Thousand Oaks, Ventura County California, so if anyone's around and wants to kibbitz, let me know.

I'll be registering it with the website when I get the car home.

Lynn Fauth

Attach file:

jpg  (116.46 KB)
4719_4ffb72fa6a592.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/7/9 19:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Made the Plunge
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
First of all, congratulations! That is a fine looking automobile. You are on the right track by flushing fluids, etc. Look on the FAQ's for hints and how to navigate this site. Mal (the Aussie) will be pleased that you are planning to register it And WELCOME to Packardinfo. You will make many friends here.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 19:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Congratulations Lynn, a nice looking Packard.

Have a search for threads covering start up following long lay offs, there are a number around. And rather than just flush out the engine oil and replace with new oil it would be better, especially seeing it's been sitting for some time, to drop the sump(pan) and clean out any sludge. At the same time clean the oil pump pick up screen.

Quote:
LynnFauth wrote: I'll be registering it with the website when I get the car home...
That's what I like to hear, looking forward to seeing it in there!

Posted on: 2012/7/9 19:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Congratulations Lynn!

That is one beautiful automobile! I love the color comb. I have a '51 200 Deluxe that went through the same kind of sorting out you're heading into. Nothing all that difficult and everything is pretty easy to get to. You'll have a great time with it and you've got most of the Summer to get acquainted with it.

You'll find the answer to everything you need to know on this site.

Enjoy your Packard and have fun!

Posted on: 2012/7/9 19:37
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Breathtaking beauty Lynn and I would say you have excellent taste in your choice of vehicles! I have the same car, same year, same model, same color but without the factory visor. If you get her home and wake up one morning to find the visor missing, it probably went to Florida! Congratulations on your new addition to the family, now you will wonder how you ever got along without her!

Posted on: 2012/7/9 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Congratulations on a very pretty find. And I am so glad that you stayed away from that Mayfair. I think you might have renamed that the Albatross.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Looks like a nice straight original car. I have a '54 Pacific HT in the same color. At first I thought of changing colors (the car needs a repaint) but the more I look at it the more I like it!

Posted on: 2012/7/11 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Lynn.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/7/11 15:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
Galahad Green Top, Orchard Green bottom

My favorite color combo of that body style.

It looks like you picked up a real peach.

Congratulations!

Posted on: 2012/7/11 15:47
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
Again - congrats Lynn. I have a very similar '54 Clipper Club Deluxe in the same colors. I love my car - and what surprises me the most after owning it a year is that I still really love to drive it. Once you get it sorted out, you'll have a very enjoyable automobile. This forum will save you a lot of headache - benefiting from all the others knowledge and experience.

And that was good advice about dropping the trans pan - even though my car had only 25K original miles and ultramatic trans worked fine, dropping the pan revealed a mess of sludge and slime - which I was happy to get cleaned out.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 9:57
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved