Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

kevinpackard, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Dan's 55 Patrician
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan A
See User information
Based on the VIN/Build period would it not be more likely that it was built this way? verses it being changed out at some point.
Inspecting the front with the consistent wear patterns throughout the car including the front fenders they appear original.

Did Packard have a habit of changing things mid year? I know they did on the Clipper with the chrome in 1955.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 21:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan A
See User information
And then also, i was surprised by the high VIN number. My understanding was only 9,127 Patricians were built, but my VIN is over the 10k Mark.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Dan, let me add my welcome to the site. As a fellow 1955 Patrician owner, I'll also be following your blog with interest. Like Hank, I like the eyebrows over the headlights of the 1956 over the 1955, but mine is a stock 1955 with a lot of work to be done. Enjoy your Packard!

Posted on: 2012/7/11 6:05
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
And then also, i was surprised by the high VIN number. My understanding was only 9,127 Patricians were built, but my VIN is over the 10k Mark.

In 1955 the sequence numbering started at 1001 for each model. So the last 55 Patrician would have been 5582-10127.

PS - the starting sequence number varied over the years and by model and manufacturing plant. There are some exceptions like chassis sales, but in a nutshell it's:

1931-1932 - 1
1933-1934 - 11 (1001 for Canadian production)
1935-1937 juniors - 1001
1935-1937 seniors - 201
1938-1954 - 2001
1955-1956 - 1001

Posted on: 2012/7/11 6:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
with that high a VIN number it was probably that they had the 56 fenders rolling out and it just happened to get them put on, so it is probably factory.

also..just to put the record straight, not that it really matters....but i don't like the 56 fenders as much. i like the 55 better, they aren't as goddy and overdone. not that i wouldn't own a 56, i just like the eyebrows on the 55 better. but, i respect those that like them over 55. ;0)

Posted on: 2012/7/11 8:57
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Never say never but to me it just doesn't seem likely they would have installed next years fenders a few months ahead of time unless it was a specially made car for testing or someone in the company of importance. I would think there should be some kind of documentation somewhere if that were the case.

Since there was no confusion with another car as there was with the changed chrome strips, doubt there would have been a running change and don't believe any such program has ever been mentioned in any articles.

Think a more likely scenario was it was done after the factory. Again, perhaps an owner liked the new look better and had it done or a dealer did it to freshen up a dealership or personal vehicle -- or one that had been sitting on a lot unsold and someone said they would buy it if it looked more like a new model.

Of course, one other reason could have been front end damage of some kind -- although would have thought other 55 items would have been replaced as well if that were the case .. unless perhaps 55 service fenders were not immediately available but 56 sheetmetal was and the other items were not needed.

A mystery to be debated, I'm sure.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 10:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Dan A wrote:

Quote:
Based on the VIN/Build period would it not be more likely that it was built this way? verses it being changed out at some point.

Inspecting the front with the consistent wear patterns throughout the car including the front fenders they appear original.

Did Packard have a habit of changing things mid year? I know they did on the Clipper with the chrome in 1955.

It's not uncommon for any vehicle manufacturer to make mid-year changes; many even state that they reserve the right to do so in their sales brochures.

However, I highly doubt that 56th Series fenders were ever installed on a 55th Series vehicle by the factory. The change in side trim on 55th Series Clippers is documented in the parts book, but there's no such evidence for fenders. Other running changes are typically documented in bulletins or letters, but I've yet to see anything on fenders.

Anything could have happened in the 50+ years since your car rolled off the assembly line. It's more plausible that the fenders were replaced due to rust or collision damage - at a time when correct fenders simply weren't available. Sheet metal for these cars was in short supply when I first started looking into parts availability for these cars back in the mid-1970s, and I've seen more than a few V8 Packards with incorrect fenders.

That the wear patterns are consistent with the rest of the car simply means that the change occurred much farther back in time. Then, have you looked for evidence of a total respray?

Posted on: 2012/7/11 10:34
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan A
See User information
Wow, Fantastic information to know. It's cool to learn how close my car was to the end of the year run(10079->10127).

It would make more sense that at a point post factory they got switched out. I don't know the history from 55'-91'.

I'll be looking for clues when I strip off the paint. I do like the 56 look better, but a part of me wants it more 'original'. We'll see what wins out! probably the cheaper option! Ha.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 11:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
HH56 said: "Of course, one other reason could have been front end damage of some kind -- although would have thought other 55 items would have been replaced as well if that were the case .. unless perhaps 55 service fenders were not immediately available but 56 sheetmetal was and the other items were not needed.A mystery to be debated, I'm sure."

This happened a lot actually. My Great Grandmother bought a brand new '68 Torino coupe mid year, and got rear ended in early 1969. Her insurance company had the car repaired and repainted but with 1969 Tail lights and trunk emblem. She never noticed the difference until years later when we were going through pictures and and noticed it.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 12:18
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan A
See User information
The Patrician has been upgraded from side yard status to garage! I killed 2 black widow spiders with a through fogging after the move so hopefully no more will emerge once I get started.

Here are some more pictures of the car. If you recall from previous posts this 55 patrician has 56 fenders on it (eyebrow lights) and was one of the last produced in 1955. No additional info has been uncovered on if it was done factory/dealer/past restoration. One picture is with me and my twin boys, please disregard the Ford shirt. :)

I am proceeding with gathering the needed materials to wake up the car from a 10 year plus hibernation. Below is the list. Let me know how you would fill in the blanks and that would be helpful.
1. Done - Mystery Oil
2. Done - Fan Belts
3. Done - Oil Filter - Napa Gold Filter - FIL1006
4. Sturdy jack and Jack stands -
5. Fire Extinguisher
6. Fuel Filter - Napa - FIL3002 or 3032
7. Spark Plugs - Champion 14
8. 12v Battery - need one that will fit and not too expensive
9. Motor Oil - 30weight - seems like a lot of discussion on this here on forums, not sure how to go.
10. Oil pan Gasket
11. Spark Plug wires - kanter?
12. Air Filter - Where do I get an oil bath filter for my batwing case? Or do I clean the one I have? And how?

The car needs lots of under car work, sanding off the grim and repainting. I'm not sure where exactly to start but I figure get the engine running, then go from there.

Attach file:

jpg  (61.45 KB)
4650_504e26cfaf47f.jpg 640X428 px

jpg  (41.53 KB)
4650_504e26d643ecd.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/10 12:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved