Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 123

733SKT, CartRich, Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

car will not start
Just popping in
Just popping in

jim.p
See User information
I am new to packard info but i was told somebody may be able to answer a question for me.I have a 54 packard clipper that used to start up first time,every time.But after awhile it started taking a little longer to start.Every time i tried to start it, it would take a little longer.It got to the point where it was taking 5 to 10 minutes to start.It turned over good but it took forever to start.Then finally it would not start at all.It would not even try to start.I am getting good spark from the plugs,it has good compression,and i can see the gas going into the carburetor.Just to be safe i took the gas tank down and cleaned it out,blew the lines out, and changed the gas filter.and put in new gas,Still it will not try to start.I replaced the plugs, points,condenser and coil. I thought something might be blocking the gas from going into the pistons so i took the intake manifold off but could not find anything in there.I had the head off awhile back and the last 4 cylinders seemed to be dry but what could stop the gas from going into the cylinders? If anybody might have any suggestions i will welcome them. thank you jim

Posted on: 2012/11/12 19:51
 Top  Print   

Re: car will not start
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do you see gas squirting when you watch the carb throat while moving the accelerator? How about the smell of gas? If that is OK, one thing I have seen is if the air filter is filthy the car can flood since not enough air is getting thru. Since you said the back 4 appeared dry one other thing some have run into is the manifold rusted out below the carb. It might be worth lifting the carb off and see if you have any unexplained holes between intake and exhaust manifolds.

If your car is still 6v a common problem is the spark even though it might look good in the open. The starter draws the voltage down quite a bit and if the cables are too small or if the battery starts getting weak the problem occurs. While you might have a good spark outside when you look at it, once the wire is connected back to the plug and the cylinder is under compression there is not enough oomph to jump the gap.

Posted on: 2012/11/12 20:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Jim:

Good compression is at least 100 psi, although car should start on 80 psi.

Good spark is at least 20Kv using a KD tester available from NAPA.

The rotted manifold is an interesting thing. Try cranking the motor with your hand over the carburetor. If there is no suction you have a problem.

Posted on: 2012/11/12 21:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jim,
to PackardInfo. Sorry I can't add anything to that already proposed but do come back and let us how you fare with the suggestions offered.

And I invite you to include your '54 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/11/13 0:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Examine the distributor. Take the cap off and grab the rotor and test for side play. I have seen old cars where the distributor bearings are so badly worn that you could not set a repeatable dwell. You still get spark, but when and for how long you can't say. It a part of the engine that people take for granted. I have seen engines pulled and rebuilt because "they were shot" worn out everything, and the same old distributor gets put back in. new bearings, rings, pistons and valves won't help if the spark isn't happening when and how it should.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 9:06
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jim.p
See User information
gas is going into the carburetor good and i do not have a strong odor of gas.the air filter is off so that is not a problem but i do like your suggestion about the manifold. awhile back while trying to start the car i checked the oil and it was full of gas. the fuel pump is new so it didn't come from there.why would gas go into the oil and not where it is supposed to go? i am going to check the manifold for holes but if it had holes wouldn't it make a lot of noise? thank you for your suggestions. i have gotten quite a few responses and i will try them all. thank you all. jim.p

Posted on: 2012/11/13 14:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just thinking that if nothing obvious stands out immediately it might be a good idea to do a compression test sooner rather than later just to rule out valve issues.

I remembered a thread from a few months ago that ultimately evolved and continued into this one:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=109322#forumpost109322 Not saying this could have happened but his original symptoms were very similar to yours inasmuch as the car had been running and then it wouldn't start.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 15:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved