Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 70

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Electromatic Trans
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings Friends, My new 1942 Packard 160 has arrived. It needs some TLC from sitting all those years, but is in priestess condition. It is equipped with "Electromatic" Trans and it works well,however I am not use to the operation and would like to use the 3 speed the regular way. Is there a disconnect switch I can use to lock the Electromatic out and use the clutch it old fashion way? Also I am in need of a 16" rim so I can have a "spare" and not have to dig the side mounts apart if I get a flat. So if any one knows or has a rim to sell that will fit my 1942 let me know. I would also like to change the oil,and not sure what kind of oil I should use, the motor was rebuild in 81 and has very little miles on it. I would like to use SAE 30w detergent. Thanks Dale, PS this car is like driving a Gray Hound bus,it is a smooth ride.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 20:35
 Top  Print   

Re: Electromatic Trans
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There should be a knob labeled Clutch or Electroclutch. It controls a switch and if that knob is pushed or pulled so switch is turned off the car will work as conventional.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 20:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
The over drive knob is on the right side of the steering column, but can not locate the Trans knob lock out? Would it be on the dash or under the dash.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 21:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
41 was cable operated with knob on the dash but schematics show a different type switch on 42's. It looks like it has a large pad or lever. Unfortunately we have no 42 owners manuals or parts list on site. I vaguely remember this discussion before and now think someone with a 42 said there was no room on the dash. He didn't say where his was. Is there anything that looks like a paddle or lever operated switch under the dash?

Posted on: 2013/5/26 21:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
only the OD knob on the right lower side of the steering column.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 22:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear John:

If all you want is a spare then the period 16 inch Buick wheel will fit the Packard.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 7:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Great do any of the members here have one they might sell me. And wold any 16" Packard wheel work. Dale

Posted on: 2013/5/27 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Re: Electromatic. You might send a PM to West Peterson. I believe he has a '42 180 Formal Sedan that came with an Electromatic Clutch.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 8:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I cannot stomach the idea of a Buick wheel in a Packard. I can supply a correct 42-160/180 spare wheel, hundred bucks, delivered. This is a SPARE USE ONLY wheel - it has some pitting from where mud cakes in behind the beauty ring, and the valve stem hole needs a small amount of attention to smooth it a bit before putting your tube valve stem through. I will pull it out for closeup photos as need be. You might even switch with one of your sidemount wheels, when you have help, just to prove to yourself you are doing the right thing having a spare in the trunk! Alternately, I can supply a nice used 37 wheel, slight difference in the hub profile, but only an expurt would recognize the difference, same price.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
I need a little help on how to send a PM, Mr Peterson, not sure how to do that.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 14:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved