Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 178

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1948 Deluxe Woodgrain
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
My 48 Deluxe 2262 had the grey woodgrain Most has been painted over. Can someone tell me what they called it? Thanks

Posted on: 2013/12/10 3:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 Deluxe Woodgrain
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I checked the Parts Manual, the Fact Book, and the Owners Manual. All references in those publications are to 'Brown' or 'Gray'. As was mentioned in your other thread, there was a gray-looking wood grain in 1940 called 'Mottled Aspen' (although when I looked at the PAC website the only gray I could find was 'Sapele Mahogany Gray'). I can't find any equivalent name for the gray wood grain option used for the 22nd series Super and Deluxe models. Maybe someone else has.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi John:

The parts book lists dashboards as Brown and Grey.

I've never seen one, but here is a picture I found on the junknet.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.31 KB)
373_52a7417930d40.jpg 736X488 px

Posted on: 2013/12/10 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you JD and Tim. I sent an email to Grain-It Technology - perhaps they have more info or the pattern. It would be better if former owners would leave it alone. Every part can be easily removed EXCEPT the dash. Also, the long wood-grained piece on the back of front seat is still intact and looks good.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
If you have a desire to DIY send me a PM and I will send you a set of instructions. It is not difficult but time consuming.

David

Posted on: 2013/12/10 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Here is the pattern on Grain It's website:
http://www.woodgraining.com/album/ Click on the Sapele patten and choose the gray color.

I think this was a pretty rare option - I've only seen one example which was on a 1940 110 sedan Jim Hollingsworth had restored.

I've regrained dashes in the car. It's harder than doing it on a workbench, but it can be done. The early 50 Hudsons have to be done this way, as the dash is a structural element and is welded in.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Looking at what's left on my car,it is not Sapele, I thought it might be Straight Grain or Mahogany or Oriental Wood. Just received an email from Grain-It . They say it is Oriental Wood -DW-2, Driftwood Ink

Posted on: 2013/12/10 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
If you chose to do the work yourself, be sure to buy the larger plates. Grain it offers a small as well as a large plate. The larger one used with the large roller makes it much easier to blend the patterns. Watch the videos they have on their website to see what I mean.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 16:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some of the basecoats are fairly transparent so another suggestion for GrainIt's DIY is find out the color recommended for the primer under the basecoat and use it. A local Dupont supplier can tell you what is recommended if you give them the Dupont color number GrainIt provides for the basecoats. I blindly chose a primer and found that Dupont recommended a different color primer for the particular basecoat my dash used. Had I chosen the recommended color the amount of basecoat needed to completely cover the primer would have been considerably less.

I also had problems with the plastic doctor blade as GrainIt calls the ink spreading tool. Mine had a tiny defect which left a streak of ink down the plate. Not finding anything like it available to purchase locally, I used a new rubber window squeegee and found I liked it much better than the hard plastic tool in getting a smooth layer of graining ink on the plate.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 17:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Howard - The Grain it base coat spray paint is very thin as you know. It dries quickly and doesn't run easily, but it does take several coats as you stated. I had the same problem with the spreader tool. I use both a Bondo spreader and a window squeegee with good results. I also found that I have to thin the ink with the toner, otherwise it is just too thick and gives muddy results.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 19:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved