Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 126

John Sauser, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 patrician help
Just popping in
Just popping in

gasman
See User information
i have 1955 patrician that has been sitting for some time i replace the wheel cylinder the brake linings are in good condition but the brakes are supper sensitive and lock up with very little peddle effort any help would be appreciated

Posted on: 2013/12/18 21:03
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 patrician help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have a Patrician chances are you also have the power brake. Packard called it Easamatic but more commonly known as the Bendix TreadleVac or BTV as it is frequently referred to here.

Some have mentioned they feel the unit is somewhat sensitive compared to modern brakes so it kind of depends on what you are comparing it to. One poster said his car would stop on a dime and give change with the least bit of pedal pressure.

If you do have the power brakes, it's most important that unit is gone thru and the rubber parts and seals changed. Just from sitting things can dry out or corrode to the point you might have brakes one stop and not the next. Also, any dirt or solidified chunks in the fluid can prevent one valve from completely closing and no brakes. I hope you have gone thru it carefully or had it professionally rebuilt. Also keep an eye out for fluid loss. There is a history of the unit sucking fluid into the vacuum side if a seal leaks and the relief port is blocked by the reservoir cover gasket.

If yours are manual brakes, then they are generally pretty trouble free. I don't have much to offer there so perhaps someone else will have some suggestions.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 21:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

gasman
See User information
thanks it does have power brakes and that,s what i thought but i didn't want to spend the time and money not knowing for sure

Posted on: 2013/12/18 21:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had several Packards when they were new. The brakes are/were very sensitive requiring very little pedal pressure.
Follow Howard's advice and check the system carefully or if you don't feel qualified, have a good mechanic familiar with the BTV system check everything.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 0:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day gasman,
to PackardInfo.

Sorry, have nothing to offer on the brakes but, I invite you to include your '55 Patrician in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/12/19 2:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kevinkfk
See User information
believe it or not , ihave the same prob . with my 55 Cclipper. the first couple of tries on the pedal and the brakes about throw me through the windscreen . after that , the pedal becomes very hard 2 push and the car simply quits stopping . a little scarry. the first thing i was told 2 do was 2 check and see if the wheel cylinders were leaking internally . next i was told 2 replace the black flexable lines [ havent got that far yet ] . i need help too . kevin from kentucky

Posted on: 2013/12/22 19:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Like most other power brakes, your Easamatic uses engine vacuum to provide boost. From your symptoms it seem that the vac supply is not keeping up with demand on multiple applications. You will need to make sure that the vacuum tubing from the valve at the back of the base of the carb is in good shape all the way to the the reservoir on the left inner fender, and down to the Easamatic itself. The second thing to check is that the check valve at the back of the carb is not sticking shut or nearly so. At 60 years old, a lot of them are.

As for the touchiness, its hard to say at this distance if its normal or not. Lets just say one does not lift ones foot off the gas and plant it on the treadlvac pedal. The technique is to pivot your foot on the heel and apply the brakes with a toe or two. Yes, it sounds weird but it's worked just great for me for the last 38 years or so.

If you have not been through your brakes thoroughly then go ahead and do it as though your worst enemy worked on them last. He probably did.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 19:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
FWIW mine have been thoroughly gone over by pros and are supposedly in excellent shape.

I carry a putty knife in the glovebox to scrape passengers off the windshield.....

However, that only applies to stops at very low speeds. Stopping for a stop sign or in traffic is normal.

Posted on: 2013/12/23 14:09
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved