Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 207

R H, JohnCB, TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Carter "Carstarter"
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Capron
See User information
My 1948 Packard with a Carter carburator has the "Carstarter" or throttle activated starter. My problem is that it will still activate the starter after the engine is running. I have read and understand the manufacturers information on how it's supposed to work. In my case, after the engine starts it does not always "suck up" the steel ball that acts as the link between the throttle shaft and the electrical switch. In addition as you accelerate the manifold vacuum drops (normal) and the ball falls back down. It should be blocked by the throttle shaft but falls thru allowing it to activate the starter while running.
It appears the steel ball in my car is of too small a diameter.
Does anyone know what size it should be?

Posted on: 2014/3/31 10:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Carter "Carstarter"
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not offhand but except for a couple of 54 carbs without the accelerator start, the same 393937 ball is used across the range of those models listed in parts manual. Should be the same diameter on all Packards. If someone has an old carb apart that they could throw a micrometer on the ball, it might be something nice to know.

One thing I would wonder is why the vacuum is dropping so low and is there a possibility the air filter or screen at the bottom of the ball passage is blocked enough that there is not enough air flow for the vacuum to work with.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 11:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Capron
See User information
Update.
I took the starter switch on the carburator apart looking at it with the ball size in mind. The parts the ball works with are similar sized. I believe the ball is of correct size. The screen below is clean. I will continue to think this one over.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I have a carburetor on the bench. I'll measure the ball tomorrow.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The ball is 3/8". The key factor in the complaint you mention is that the notch on the plunger must face UP. The switch will start the car with the notch down, but won't let the ball go up to its home. Thus the switch will activate when the engine is running, and there will also be a vacuum leak, sometimes audible.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 5:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
That's one invention that didn't need to be invented. Glad it went away. Mine was bypassed and I like it that way.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 22:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Probably no worse than Nash in the gearshift handle or Chevy under the clutch. Buick had a love affair with them as well. If nothing else they were very reliable and if they did fail on the road, you could at least jump them easily by just removing one wire and touching it to the other.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 22:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Fish'n Jim, how was it bypassed on your car? I have no key so I was thinking of just getting a normal ignition switch, wondering if there are other ways to do it other than mounting a seperate starter button?

Posted on: 2014/4/1 23:29
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Ever wonder how many of these Packards and Buicks were sent to an early demise by these devices? In our family, as observed and remembered, an older driver would turn the ignition key, press the accelerator pedal and hold it as the engine started and revved. Could not be a nice thing to do to a cold and un-lubed engine. A starter button or ignition switch starter seems so much more humane.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 10:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Cheez folks, I use these things all the time. Like what is the problem? The car starts and you take your foot off the gas and it falls to the idle set by the automatic choke. They are great if you stall at a light or backing into a space, they insure the choke sets on a cold start and that the throttle is open enough for a hot start.

Plus you can say abracadabra as you push the gas and explain to the uninitiated that the car starts by voice recognition.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 15:53
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved