Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
248 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 247

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

lug centric wheels on a 24th series???
Just popping in
Just popping in

elevator_man
See User information
i have a 51 200 and purchased smoothie wheels for it. only problem is they are lug centric. i know i read some info on the topic, but i can't find it again. does anybody have any first hand experience with this. the wheels i got are wheel vintiques smoothies. one of the problems i have are the brake drum rivets and alignment pin. can i just grind these to fit? the lug bolts are 9/16, so im not really worried about them shearing off or anything, but i would like the car to roll down the road somewhat smoothly. thanks a lot.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 13:21
still on the right side of the grass...
 Top  Print   

Re: lug centric wheels on a 24th series???
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
not sure what you mean by "lug-centric." The lugs'job is only to bolt the wheel against the drum. The weight is supposed to be borne by the hub. If the wheel opening is bigger than the hub, it should be shimmed to fit.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 13:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day elevator_man,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '51 200 in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2014/4/21 15:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Elevator:

If you grind the rivet heads off the drum the assembly will probably fall apart while going around a bend in the road while applying the brakes. The result will be a crash.

The locator pin allows for the wheel to be installed using lugs bolts rather than studs. I don't know what "smoothie wheels are, but if the plan is to street rod the car you might as well change the car over and hold onto the parts. They are worthless if you grind the pins and rivets off.

If you plan to keep the car stock then I would have spacers made for the wheels and drill a pilot for the locator pin.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 16:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree with Tim on the rivets and spacer. One poster already found the hard way on his "new" 48 that touching those rivets was not a good thing for a previous owner to have done when trying to remove the drums. He wound up having to find new assy's.

As for the locating pin, that you could probably remove although holding the tire up while you manipulate a bolt and get it started gets old in a hurry.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 16:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

elevator_man
See User information
thanks HH56. I may have been a little unclear. I don't want to completely grind off the rivets, but I need to clearance them a little so my wheels can bolt up. I also understand that everybody would have me keep it original, however I don't have the $160 dollars a wheel that some Packard parts dealers sell and I had the smoothies, so I want to try and use them. just trying to figure out a safe way to do it also, its not so much a street rod, as maybe a mild custom. nothing crazy. at least I'm going to run the 288 L8. just got that back from the machine shop. I'll post some pictures of that when I get a chance.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 18:38
still on the right side of the grass...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Wheels? How large of a stack would you like? $40 apiece plus shipping for 5.5" wide (junior) or $50 for 6" wide (senior).

That way you don't have to mod anything. PM if interested.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 20:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved