Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 164

Tom (Packin31), happy, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Running Packard = Happy Dad!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi All,

I FINALLY got my dad's Packard running for the Labor Day car show at my sisters church. Since I started this project in May I thought I would have it done with plenty of time...however I just barely made it...delivering the car to my dad the morning of the big event. This car show is certainly not big show (about 50 cars) however it has been a family tradition since the show started 13 years ago and he had not missed a single event so the pressure was on!!!

The scope of the project kinda ballooned from a simple transmission R&R to the following:

Engine rebuild and belts
Transmission and overdrive rebuild
New clutch and pressure plate
Engine bay wiring major repair
Steering box removal, inspection, and seal replacement
Four wheel brake job (major, nibs, 16 clicks)
New fuel steel lines installed from tank to engine
Removal of road draft tube and replacement with PCV
Full stem to stern paint buffing job
Interior detail
Rims repainted
Tire balancing
Monroe power steering actuator installation
Alignment
Generator rebuild
Shifter mechanism rebuild (column and trans bushings)
New vacuum steel lines
Various engine parts painting
New cooling system hoses and six blade fan
And other stuff I already forgot.

During the weeks I found myself emailing my dad the "Pampered Packard Spa and Wellness Center" updates every couple of days keeping him up to speed (very slow speed) of the "progress". The tag line of these updates was the trademark "The place where your Packard will be so pampered and relaxed you will begin wondering if you will ever see it again!!!"

At one point this project became sort of a full time job for a few weeks at a time. The time estimate jumped from "oh about a month" to "I hope I get done by the end of summer". The first eight weeks were kinda fun however the last stretch of weeks were...well...not so much. The car show was fun however (see attached family photo)!!!

He said the engine runs very smooth and starts right up every time and he drives it to the coffee shop most mornings to hang out with the retired boyz. He says he is the envy of the gang!!!

Anyhoo...I REALLY WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU who contributed their time, suggestions, knowledge, car parts, experience, SWAGs, cyber blood and tears, and Packard Voodoo dances that made this en-devour successful...I really could not have done this project without your unceasing help and advice!!! I am indeed very grateful!!! My daughters call you guys my "cyber car show friends".

I still have some things to do to the car and even when that is complete I will certainly cyber lurk on the forum to laugh, cry, and share my ignorance with you.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Bill
See attached picture of happy dad, son, daughter in law, and grand kids!!!

Attach file:

jpg  (143.49 KB)
84982_5600a1625fc32.jpg 1024X726 px

Posted on: 2015/9/21 19:31
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Running Packard = Happy Dad!!!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations. As long as it made your dad happy then well worth any aggravation that might have happened along the way. Out of curiosity what did you finally do or find with the noise that was coming from the PS.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 20:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
My congratulations as well Bill. Glad you got it running and in time for the car show with all the family enjoying the Packard!

Posted on: 2015/9/21 22:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robin Adair
See User information
Fantastic effort ....bravo..

Posted on: 2015/9/22 7:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Right on!!! Love those bath tub Packards....
After reading your post, it brings up a question. maybe I missed a post somewhere. How does one add a PVC valve on a Packard?

John

Posted on: 2015/9/22 7:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Bill

Congratulations! Your Dad's smile tells us all your hard work and effort was well worth it! What a great thing to do, revive his Packard for daily enjoyment!

When you can, please show us details of how you created those vertical upper grille bar inserts, they really make the front look great! Did you look at adding those to the lower grille opening too?

Steve

Posted on: 2015/9/22 7:59
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Yes...happy dad is a good thing.

I guess the modification to the grille was one of the things I forgot to mention.

When he first got the car he added some chrome bars to the front grille. They rusted out over time and some had even fell out. See attached picture of old bars in the grill (sorry...forgot to take a picture of the new chrome bars installed).

While the Packard was getting a spa treatment, my dad removed the old chrome bars and reinstalled some new ones in the upper grille section only.

I STILL cant believe a guy could not simply take an egg crate grille out of a 49 Series 23 and install it in a Series 22...Grrrrr....very frustrating

Attach file:

jpg  (13.61 KB)
84982_5601a965a52b7.jpg 448X252 px

Posted on: 2015/9/22 14:18
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I was able to reduce the power steering humming sound some however it is still there. I added three washers to the Pressure Relief valve spring and bumped the pressure output to 1100 PSI and that helped some.

I am currently researching on how I can add some washers to the Flow Divider valve spring. I think I know how to do it however id any of you happen to have a 1952 Chrysler Imperial manual laying around can you PLEASE scan and zap me the PS pump pages?!?!?

Even so...I doubt my dad will let me take his Packard to my house again anytime soon?!?!?

Posted on: 2015/9/22 14:31
Bill,

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved