Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

41 Running Boards
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Is there an alternative that is acceptable for re-doing the running boards on a 41 Packard. New rubber is a little cost prohibitive currently .also when removing the chrome strips are the tabs likely to break or not. Any suggestions ? Thank you.

Posted on: 2016/6/16 22:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 41 Running Boards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Looks like you got had a pretty healthy response to this question last year.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16215&forum=1&post_id=162444#forumpost162444

Have you tried any of those solutions?

Posted on: 2016/6/17 0:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hi Joe,
I was trying to find the post but was unable to locate it, must of overlooked it in my several posts. Glad you found it, thanks

Posted on: 2016/6/17 5:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Didn't one of the old movie stars have his running boards taken off, to keep the girls from climbing on.
Just a thought.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/6/17 6:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Didn't one of the old movie stars have his running boards taken off"

Silly as it sounds that is an alternative, especially for a '41! Believe that reproduction fiberglass running board delete panels are available.

Posted on: 2016/6/17 6:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I made replacements for the clips from small nuts, bolts, and washers by making the washers have two parallel sides the width of the groove on the back of the SS strips. It's tedious to do and to install, but it works.

Also the outside molding looks like it's the same between running board and running board delete cars, but it's not (learned the hard way of course)

Posted on: 2016/6/17 9:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I had to make several clips for the 47 because of special shapes or because some needed offset or not centered studs. I had thought of the washers but because some were rectangular and quite long that wasn't the best option.

The original clips either had the stud rusted away or broken off so I knocked the old one out. The modern studs have a smaller head so if the clip was large enough or shaped where I could do it I drilled the proper sized hole on the opposite side and inserted a new stud. On others such as the small rectangle in the photo there was not enough material to drill another hole and still have strength so cut a new piece of sheetmetal. Process was not too tedious and seems to have worked.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.72 KB)
209_5764113d1a266.jpg 1110X813 px

Posted on: 2016/6/17 10:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved