Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 204

Bob J, cooldude980, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

oil pressure and engine temp gages
Just popping in
Just popping in

TerryMc
See User information
Sadly the engine in my 1950 Packard Deluxe threw a rod. That engine was replaced with a 1954 Thunderbolt. The electrical connections on the engine do not connect correctly with the instruments in the dash so I have no accurate readings for temp or oil pressure. It appears Packard changed manufacturers for those components from 50 to 54 any suggestions?

Posted on: 2017/12/12 8:27
 Top  Print   

Re: oil pressure and engine temp gages
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You almost need to adapt the 50 senders from your old engine or if you no longer have them find some from a vendor or parts car. Believe all 48-56 used King-Seeley instruments but the 50 had senders which were the heater/bimetal type. Those have a pulsing on or off output the length of the pulse depending on how pressure, temp or fuel changed strain on the bimetal strip and made it need more heat before the contact could switch on or off. Longer the off period the lower the gauge reading.

51 on used straight resistance type senders same as some Ford and Chrysler products where the different parameters made the resistance change from approx 73 ohms at the low end to 10 ohms at the high end.

The 50 oil sender should be a direct fit on the later engine as I think they are both 1/8 pipe thread. Using the old temp sender in the newer head may require some kind of plumbing adaption. I don't remember if the thread size in the head or the depth of the hole is the same for the long bimetallic sender vs the shorter straight resistance type.

While there has been some work toward finding a straight modern easily found resistance type fuel sender to work with the older gauges, to the best of my knowledge no one has completely proven they have found one yet and I don't recall anyone looking into the oil or temp senders for a resistance replacement.

If you cannot find the proper senders then next best would be to add a set of aftermarket gauges under the dash. Without having a known modern replacement sender for the old gauges you could most likely have an instrument shop adapt the later type gauges to the 50 dash but I expect the cost would be up there.

Posted on: 2017/12/12 10:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Could one use the sending units from the old engine in the new engine??
John

Posted on: 2017/12/12 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes, just use the old senders. They will screw right in.

Posted on: 2017/12/12 13:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day TerryMc,
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include your '50 Deluxe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/12/12 14:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved