Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 247

Jimmyk, Gary Kulp, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'32 transmission whine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I bought a '32 902. Beautiful car and nicely restored at one time. Unfortunately, the transmission whines in 1st and 2nd louder than my first grade niece. I assume this is not normal, but maybe somewhat expected.
Just got delivered, so i haven't had time to look into it yet. Assuming it needs trans fluid - -among other things - I assume this is a 90 wieght similar to what I use in my newer Packards?

Posted on: 2018/8/27 18:54
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Re: '32 transmission whine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Jim,

Sorry, can't help with the trans.

But, since you "...bought a '32 902" wouldn't it be nice if it kept company with your '41 OneTwenty Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry?

Posted on: 2018/8/27 19:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
You'll have to post a video or something. I suspect the "whine" is normal, but I guess it's possible that it's louder than normal.

Posted on: 2018/8/28 9:16
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
4spd?
3spd?

Posted on: 2018/8/28 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Certain models of that year were know as having "singing transmissions".

I've heard stories that Packard advertised this as a "quality" feature. Having torn down transmissions that had high mileage
I can attest to this, by the lack of wear on the gear teeth, in transmissions that were kept lubricated and not abused.

My '32 (4 spd) pulling away from a stop sounds like this, starting in 2nd gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXabxyXQL_I

Posted on: 2018/8/28 18:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
My transmission is a three speed. It does sound quite like the one in Model31's video - maybe louder. Somehow, I don't associate it with the sound of quality - I found it somewhat frightening.

Doing a video is a good idea though. I'll try this in the next few days. I want to check the levels, etc. before taking this for a spin.

The car underwent a full restoration some years ago and I know for certain the engine was rebuilt (at least representaed that way), but I have no mention of the trans. Only 1200 miles since the restoration, so if it was rebuilt, should outlast me.

I am blown away by the quality of the restoration and the car is just beautiful. I just love these elegant old Packards.

Posted on: 2018/8/28 23:40
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
When that 3 spd was new and rebuilt back to its OEM spec its silent and smooth in all gears. Think this trans scares a lot of people and thus they pass it off. They are a time consuming project. Of all the classic car transmission ive gone through this PACKARD 3 spd is the best. Have parts if u find u need.

Posted on: 2018/8/29 8:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
The trans in this car is actually a four speed. The low gear is off to the side. Second is below reverse, third is where you would expect it, with high right below it. Its designed so you basically always start in second. It looks designed to get you into fourth quickly. Looks like I should use 160 in the trans, especially out her in Sunny California.

Posted on: 2018/8/30 0:02
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved