Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What Model Is This?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I recently purchased this vehicle with zero documentation. I have searched all over looking for the model number of this car.

I was built on 05/1928 in Detroit
Body is by Dietrich Inc
Shipped to Worcester BRA or BBA

It has a SIX Flathead not an eight. I originally thought it was a 4-43 but only see them as 8 cylinder models.

Any guidance is appreciated

Attach file:

jpg  (18.53 KB)
185433_5bd736825aa21.jpg 396X297 px

jpg  (277.18 KB)
185433_5bd7369839d4a.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2018/10/29 11:42
 Top  Print   

Re: What Model Is This?
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Welcome to the site. I see you own a 1928 Packard Towncar custom-bodied by Dietrich - lucky you.

I take the data plate is missing. Have you looked on this section of this site?https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/index.php? Because it is a custom body, it MAY have begun life as a 533 Six Sedan model 325.

Hey, you cannot be more than 10 miles from the Packard Proving Grounds at 49965 Van Dyke Avenue and what would be 22 1/2 Mile Road. You need to visit us sometime and also join Motor City Packards.https://www.motorcitypackards.org/

You'll get plenty of good advice at either place.

Posted on: 2018/10/29 13:05
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Hi Gar, welcome to PackardInfo.com!

Quote:
...I have searched all over looking for the model number of this car...

If the talk revolves around the so-called body tag then open the rear right door and lift the carpet up a bit. There should be a brass body tag about 4 inches in nailed to the floor.

Posted on: 2018/10/29 14:37
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Gar,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '28 Packard custom-bodied Dietrich Towncar in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/10/29 15:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Gar

Congratulation on purchasing a fine 1928 Six Series 533 and welcome to the Packard Info Forum. Looks as if you've acquired a ready-to-enjoy example from which you should derive much pleasure.

Your primary question is centered on the body provenance. Proof of coachbuilder takes detective work, but there are cues such as cited by Gusha, a four inch brass body tag placed in a discreet location. The lower front seat frame was also frequently a favored spot. When a custom body was being built, each wood frame component would have a job or design number stamped on it. This was done as the shops were busy building a variety of bodies as the same time, to keep components for specific job readily identifiable. Those stamped numbers might be visible with careful examination.

Dietrich, Inc., by the time bodies were built for the 1928 model year, was a division of Murray Corporation of American, a major production body maker. Careful investigation of the town car body will be necessary prove a Dietrich provenance.

For what its worth, I'm not a custom body expert but am versed in the type. My personal view seconds the opinion by RogerDetroit that the body on your car " it MAY have begun life as a 533 Six Sedan model 325". Custom modifications to factory-supplied body both as authorized by the factory and aftermarket are not unknown. It was much more common from the mid-1930's on to the WWII years when custom coach building largely died out.

The "devil is in the details" as they say. Studying those details in your large photo shows standard factory-supplied door handles typical of the 5th Series. Dietrich custom bodies have a very specific style door handle. The profile view with the open front blocked out, compared to a profile view of the Model 324 seven passenger sedan and 325 Sedan-Limousine reveals an exact match. The difference between those would be the addition of the partition window in the latter. The angle windshield frame does not match those used on Packard open cars. It may be a modification of the sedan A-pillar or a roadster/phaeton component from another maker. Dietrich town cars at this point still display vertical windshield posts.

Typically, town car chauffeur canopy had a small storage cupboard with a hinged door above the partition in the front of the tonneau. Here would the canopy canvas be folded along with the solid windshield header and hinged canopy stiffener arms that helped close the door glass seal against. If these details are on your car, it's a good indication it was completed in the period to make it completely functional.

Town cars were frequently placed on the shorter prestige makers chassis as the car would be used in a crowded urban traffic. Chauffeurs were consulted for their choice of make since they would be handling the car as well as maintaining it.

Hope this helps determine the coachwork provenance of your new acquisition. Good Luck and please keep us apprised of your findings.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/10/29 18:38
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Hey Roger, is the Motor City Packard club taking membership for 2019 yet? We are sold in joining them.

Posted on: 2018/11/3 20:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Thanks for all of the replies and sage advice.

I was able to determine that is a 1928 with a 533 chassis ID and is a 305 Limo.

Posted on: 2018/11/19 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Gar

Thanks for the follow-up, confirms what clues indicated it started out as. Detailed photos of the windshield, canopy in the open position, canopy storage at the top of the rear compartment and partition might yield clues to their origin if they are the work of a known coachbuilder.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/11/19 18:13
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gar,
for including your '28 Six Sedan Limousine in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/12/16 2:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved