Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 175

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1948 Australian Packard Ambulance
Just popping in
Just popping in

oibrag
See User information
hi, i'm looking at buying an Australian 1948 packard ambulance. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if packards that came to australia were imported as left hand drives and converted or were built as right hand drives and exported to australia. maybe even assembled in australia? as this ambulance i'm looking at buying was used in australia and is right hand drive. i was wondering if anyone may have a photo of an australian packard ambulance?

Posted on: 2010/2/9 21:27
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 Australian Packard Ambulance
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard was assembling RHD cars and chassis in Detroit in 1948, so it might be logical to assume that they supplied Henney with such conversions. But it's also possible the conversion was done locally with Detroit parts. Might depend on whether the ambulance coachwork is Henney or Australian. Sounds like an interesting vehicle, I'd like to hear more about it, especially as to the coachwork. Got any pictures?

Posted on: 2010/2/9 21:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Well I think Mal could help with this, he'lol be along shortly.

Just curious as who it was built by. Most American hearses and such were built by Henney.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 21:44
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Oibrag, Your LWB Packard would have come in as a cab-chassis and probably has a Martin & King or Flood body. I have seen plenty of the 48 LWB vehicles in Australia, but they have been hearses or mourning cars. The only Packard Ambulance that I have seen is a 1940-120. I have the running boards fronm the vehicle. I also have the remains of a 48 LWB 7 Pass sedan ( Martin & KIng ). Are you sure that it was an Ambulance?. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2010/2/9 21:45
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day oibrag,
to PackardInfo, good to have another Aussie on board. Take your cues from Peter Packard(Peter Toet), he has a wealth of Packard knowledge. As Owen_Dyneto(Dave) said, pictures would be good and from these the experts here will be able to tell you if it is a US or Australian built body.

And a request, if you buy the '48 Ambulance can you please include it here in the Packard Owner's Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

And a question - Are you a member of PACA, The Packard Automobile Club of Australia? If not you'd be welcome to join, with or without a Packard. If interested I can put you in contact with our Membership Secretary, who is also a PackardInfo member. My email is ozstatman@gmail.com . PACA is having it's 2010 National Rally to Kangaroo Island in late September, will be a great rally with plenty of Packards in attendance.

Posted on: 2010/2/10 2:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

oibrag
See User information
i'm still trying to decide weather or not to buy it. when i showed photos to the other half what it looked like think she thought i was crazy. but i did't think it was that bad. still needs a lot of work though. as for photo's i'll put some up when i have worked out weather or not to buy it. but if i do get it i will most likely join a club. thanks for your replies and your information is important to my decision. if anybody else has more information please reply.

Posted on: 2010/2/10 8:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
oibrag wrote:.....when i showed photos to the other half what it looked like think she thought i was crazy.......as for photo's i'll put some up when i have worked out weather or not to buy it.........
G'day again,

I think we're all "touched", in a special way of course, but I for one wouldn't have it any other way.

Whether or not you buy the Ambo could you please post the photo's anyway. They'd satisfy the curiosity of many here as to who the body builder is.

Posted on: 2010/2/10 15:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

oibrag
See User information
yeah i will put some photo's up. won't matter if i buy the car of not. but before i do i want to work out if i'll buy it or not.
here's a photo. if anyone has any ideas of the body builder please let me know. buy the way i did buy it. thanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (414.86 KB)
2284_4c52d48613be7.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2010/2/10 20:05
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert J. Neal
See User information
Hi Oh-I-Brag,

I came across this thread recently and wonder what came of the Australian ambulance you were considering. It is most likely a Martin & King bodies car as it appears they built a number of them. I am currently writing a book on the 1948-1950 Packards and am very interested in any pictures or information of the Martin & King Packards. What did you do on the car and do you still have the pictures? I would very much like to have high resolution copies sent to me if possible.

Robert Neal
RJNeal0000@aol.com

Posted on: 2010/5/15 15:23
Currently researching 1951 Packards, particularly convertibles and Mayfairs, but anything interesting. Own a 1950 Custom 8 sedan and a 1954 Cavalier, both are restored.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Robert,

oibrag recently posted another thread in which he said he was buying the Ambulance and he also included his email address in that thread. So you should be able to contact him directly.

Posted on: 2010/5/15 16:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved