Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 234

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Researching Packard registration History
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Paul Derkum
See User information
I've tried to track down some registration history on a 1935 1208 that started it's life in Pittsburgh, PA I called PENNDOT and they told me to try the State archive. I called them and they told me that all records are destroyed. Does anyone know of alternate ways of locating early ownership?

Attach file:

jpg  (40.09 KB)
2861_4c360d9015d17.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/7/8 12:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Researching Packard registration History
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
once the records have been destroyed there is very little that can be done. With states crying for money it amazes me that some bright(in state guvmint?????) individual does not suggest to start archiving these records and charge a fee for dispensing them.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 12:52
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm in the DMS business (Document Management Services), and I can tell you it not as simple as that. Storing paper cost money. Most State agencies destroy their paper records after 10 years (some as little a 2 years) because of the high costs of warehousing paper. This is based on their document retention policy. The other reason it is expensive to maintain paper is the man-power to both archive it, and retrieve it. Also with paper archives things can get misplaced, lost, etc.

It's only gotten better recently with States starting to digitally store documents instead of using paper. But usually that only involves the new documents moving forward, and the old paper documents are discarded once their retention lifespan is exceeded.

The company i work for their main line of business is getting people away from "Paper Farms".

Now back to the question at hand....

Try to trance down the linage through the last owner and work backwards. I was able to reach back to the mid 60's on my car before the trail grew cold.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Paul Derkum wrote:......1935 1208.......
G'day Paul,
to PackardInfo. Other possibilities may be public libraries or museums or even local historical societies which have acquired archives from local businesses over time(including Packard dealerships?). Would involve a lot of leg work for a lot of dead ends but who knows? On a more Packard specific basis, have you tried the Roster Keepers for your year and model Packard at PAC or Packards International? Or the local Packard chapters/clubs in your area, as some old time members could have knowledge of this specific Packard.

But why not start a "digital trail", accessible for future generations? To do so, I invite you to include your '35 1208 in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/7/8 15:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Paul Derkum
See User information
Thanks so much for the help, I have tried recent registered owners but it seems that the only way ownership passed was due to death, so that trail turned cold. Pennslyvania's digital records only go back 10 years. A depression era car of this caliper must have been owned by someone important.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 16:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

gunnison
See User information
Paul, is your 1208 limousine the original-condition dark gray car with after-market parking lights on the front fenders? Packard Pittsburgh was a distributership owned by Ira L. Berk. A photo of the building is posted somewhere on this website.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 17:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Paul, it's a long shot but have you contacted Jim Pearsall in New Jersey? Jim is an avid dedicated Packard historian of the prewar Classic era and has spent an adult lifetime tracking these cars and their ownership over the years.

Jim's contact info is listed in The Packard Club directory.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 17:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Makes me feel lucky buying my car from the original owner.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 18:10
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Paul Derkum
See User information
Thank you, sounds like a good lead.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 8:48
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Paul Derkum
See User information
The car is the dark gray with parking lights on the fenders

Posted on: 2010/7/11 17:04
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved