Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 71

Cruiser, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hub Cap auto rotation
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
The front hub caps on my 1954 Packard Clipper Super seem to move of their own accord within the wheel housing. This causes the hubcap hole for the valve stem to start riding against the rubber valve stem and abrading it. I have bent the retaining clips outward for better grip to stop the issue, but can't seem to get that to completely work. I just don't want to tear off a rubber valve stem. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/10/12 19:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Hub Cap auto rotation
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Metal valve stems will fix that

Posted on: 2011/10/12 19:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You could drill a small hole in the edge of the rim and put in a screw. The head would act as a stop so the cap can't "walk".

Posted on: 2011/10/12 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thanks, all

I think I will try the metal valve stem set-up.

Posted on: 2011/10/13 7:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to get the nomenclature right, I believe you're speaking of wheel covers or shell covers, not hub caps which are much smaller in diameter and just cover the lug bolt area of the wheel.

The metal stems will stop the rotation of the shell cover, but really, they shouldn't rotate to begin with so there is probably another cause. "Tired" tangs on the covers perhaps, incorrect wheels perhaps? Are the tangs cutting thru the paint (paint still soft?)?

Posted on: 2011/10/13 10:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Along the paint lines, one hubcap site mentions hubcaps that loosen--in their case, continually coming off. They suggest checking whether the wheel has been painted with a hardened paint so teeth can't grab or has been waxed. In both cases they suggested scuffing to give a surface for the clips.

Posted on: 2011/10/13 10:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thanks for the suggestion about the wheel paint. Yes, mine have been painted. I will scuff up the rims where the shell cover tangs make contact.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 3:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I was thinking it might be wheel flex from using radials.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 11:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The problem of full wheel covers "walking" around the rim (and cocking/chafing the tire valve) predates the use of radial tires.

The full wheel covers on my V8s have a coupe of special teeth, which are adjacent to the valve stem opening, upset from the metal between the ring of teeth (inboard) and the rim of the cover (outboard). These extra teeth correspond to a couple of divots on the OE rim. I believe this was intended to help keep the opening centered on the valve AND prevent the cover from "walking".

I don't have '54 full wheel cover handy, but suspect it has the same feature.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 11:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wouldn't entirely discount Rusty's thought however as a possible contribution to the problem. Some cars, especially late 50s Chevrolets, were quite notorious for flinging their wheel covers like frisbees after installation of radials.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 12:02
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved