Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

Packard Don, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

La Carrera Packard engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
I found this link on Google when I was searching for racing Packards there is not much on the engine but i thought it was pretty cool
http://lacarrera2007.blogspot.com/2011/07/morning-qualifying-whatsa-motto-you.html

Posted on: 2012/1/27 21:52
 Top  Print   

Re: La Carrera Packard engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Thanks very much for posting that link. I have somehow not had that much success in researching that car and some of those photos were new to me. Interestingly, I also have photos of the car showing a bench seat and bumpers. In other photos the car has holes in the front fenders as if there was a grill fitted. Trevoux must have driven the car apart from racing.

Would love to see that thing come out of dusty storage and give us all a thrill.

Am more than 80% finished building a near replica of the car starting with a rusty 51 200. As I have no intents of racing something that has consumed so many hours I have contented myself with a simple bored out 327, ported and relieved with a 4bbl. One carburetor is problem enough, much less four!

Posted on: 2012/1/29 14:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
That link was definitely cool! Thanks for posting.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/1/29 20:20
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
No problem it took me a sec and a couple times reading through the article to wrap my head around that being a cut down Packard 200. I wish it was that easy to get a a hot cam these days!

Posted on: 2012/1/30 17:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
I would love to see your car when its done! And please share the info you have on it I'm very interested. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the article say he made some of the body panels out of aluminum? It's a wonder any car survived what they put them through during that race and i would love to see it on display. I was kicking around the idea of one day cloning it but it looks like you beat me to the punch. Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/1/30 17:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, what a fantastic thread. In 1967, I purchased a 1952-200 which a previous owner had fitted a 62.5 thou bored out 327 with a shaved head and stick shift Packard R11 and 3.23 rear end. It ran the original carb with bigger jets, and I am still amazed at the performance of the car which I demolished in a fall asleep while driving adventure in 1969. I towed a car trailer at over 100mph regularly and the speedo used to go right around to the zero stop while the car speed kept increasing. ( I would estimate that it did around 115 (180 KPH) under ideal conditions, but sensational for a sedan in those days. It was awesome and not many fun ( Police) on the roads either. Now, as a Senior, I am more relaxed in the genital area and the Hyundais regularly get me at the lights in my 38 Packard hot rod. But never in my Mazda 13B Turbo RX3 which runs 10.9 quarters. Best Regards and love the thread. Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/1/31 5:24
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
what is a R11? is that a ultramatic? they made shift kits for that?/

Posted on: 2012/6/2 16:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

James Russell Packard III wrote:
what is a R11? is that a ultramatic? they made shift kits for that?/

R11 is the Borg-Warner overdrive. Packard used 3 or 4 versions. R6 in 39; R9 from 40 to mid 48; R11 from 48 to ??. As there were several changes on V8 ODs, it may have been an R12 in 55-6 but that is speculation and has not been verified.

Posted on: 2012/6/2 16:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

To delve into an old thread go --> this way.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/6/2 17:10
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

eightinline
See User information
Great thread, 300 hp !? Great to see more racing heritage. It will be great to see Ross's car when it gets paint on it.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 8:44
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved