Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 85

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hydraulic Lifter Availability
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Is there any more news or updates concerning hydraulic lifter availability ,other than Kanter? I'm in the market for a few for my 356ci engine. Thanks

Posted on: 2012/3/8 10:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Hydraulic Lifter Availability
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I believe they were not available for years until Kanter decided to reproduce them.You may find them at various auto flea markets or on Ebay but they are hard to find.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 11:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you were referring to the possibility mentioned earlier this year of a replacement other than Kanters, this post 34 doesn't sound promising .

Posted on: 2012/3/8 11:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Around 4 years ago I was looking for a hydraulic lifter replacement for my 1950 356. Terrell Machine had some available that were for the Packard 6 Cylinder engine used by White Truck. They were very expensive. I went with an eBay purchase (Patrician Industries) that I have since assumed were the Kanter lifters. I don't know for sure. The lifter has been doing its job for 4 years now without any problems.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 11:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 245-Six that Packard sold to White for use in the 3014 cab-over truck used used mechanical lifters.

So far as I know, other than finding used ones in an extra engine or the the occasional offer on eBay (which may be Kanter's and not NOS), Kanters is the only source. These lifters, made by Wilcox-Rich, were similar to but not interchangeable with the ones used by Cadillac in the same era. As Ross and other have previously commented on this topic, lots of Kanter's lifters in use with good results.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 11:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
The 245-Six that Packard sold to White for use in the 3014 cab-over truck used used mechanical lifters.

I tried to verify the hydraulic lifter info through Google and other sources but had no luck so I went with what I was told at the time.

So to fix it... Terrill Machine had replacement lifters 4 years ago, they were very, very expensive and the original source may have been NOS.

Edit: OK... found it. You posted a White Truck spec sheet back in 2008 here.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I once heard that they're the same lifters used in P-51 Mustang engines. I also heard that the place that supplies them for the aircraft charged less than what the collector car industry was charging. Any truth to either of these statements?

Posted on: 2012/3/8 12:34
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, sounds like a question for Robert J. Neal, or perhaps there's mention of it in his extensive coverage of that engine in his book. I'll give it a browse and see if the answer is apparent but given that it's an overhead cam design, I'd doubt it.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 12:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Years ago I worked for Jack Roush and one of the projects I worked on was a set of billet valve rocker arms for his P-51, Old Crow. We made them from a special aluminum that was alloyed with silicon which made them the toughest material I have ever had to cut. Regular High Speed steel was useless on the stuff and even carbide drills struggled to get through it. We ended using diamond coated carbide bits to drill the holes in them. In any case, the P-51 Merlin engine doesn't use lifters, the cams act directly on the valve stem like this: see pic below. Note that the picture is of the stock valvetrain and not Jacks fancy billet parts.
Cheers
Todd

Attach file:

jpg  (73.94 KB)
2666_4f5935ab7d0c8.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2012/3/8 17:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Thanks for all the replies and info. I'll be contacting Kanter tomorrow. The one noisy lifter will soon be history.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 21:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved