Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 215

BigKev, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Luggage rack
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Bow
See User information
Do I have a different luggage rack or has mine been hacked?

Attach file:

jpg  (28.08 KB)
72388_552cd811ac040.jpg 572X322 px

Posted on: 2015/4/14 4:08
Bilbo
1937 120C Sport Coupe

Continuously snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
 Top  Print   

Re: Luggage rack
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Don't know how similar a '36 120 rack is to a '37 but here's a photo of one I saw here in Oz on a Convertible Coupe a couple of weeks ago.

Flackmaster would be able to give a definitive answer.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.28 KB)
226_552cfd234211f.jpg 640X476 px

Posted on: 2015/4/14 6:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Yours has been hacked.
Furthermore, it is the wrong rack setup for your car. What you have began life on a senior car. The photo posted by Mal illustrates the (nearly) correct junior rack. I don't remember what was keeping the rack in the photo at such a wrong angle...its position is a bit too straight up.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 8:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The sharp upper corners and the lack of the web between the first two horizontals lead me to think it's a modified senior car rack but I defer to the Flackmaster for the definitive word.

PS - Flackmaster, how did you beat me to that response, yours wasn't there when I wrote mine! You're a fast man on the keyboard.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 8:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
First Post, has a 33-39 (except 39 Su 8) rack on his 36 120 sedan. Identified by square corners.

Photo of junior coupe has correct rack but incorrect mounting brackets which are formal sedan, not a coupe. Sedan brackets make the rack more upright and follow the contour of the trunk, the correct coupe brackets would have the rack more horizontal and follow the trunk coutour.

Both cars are incorrect

James

Posted on: 2015/4/14 9:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here's the one on my 115C Convertible Coupe.

Regarding the correct trunk rack for a 39 Super Eight Convertible Coupe: does it use the junior or senior rack? Since these Packards are based on the 120s would they also use the junior style rack?

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (70.53 KB)
565_552d2d05d11f5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/4/14 10:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Looking good, JW.
jK - The issue with the coupe/sedan angle of rack is related to the bumper braces on the junior cars, not the rack supports, along with fitting adjustments.
See the parts book.

The 39 Super 8's are a bit of an anomaly. I have always been of the belief and OPINION that the 39 Super 8's deserve to be (correctly) fitted with the Senior style rack, however, in my re-reading the parts book it lists both as available for the 17th series, much to my chagrin of criticizing 39 Super 8's with junior racks. Yes, I read the parts book as well, and re-read it too...I don't like 39 Super 8's with junior racks, but will have to learn to live with them...and keep my opinions to myself.

I would be curious to know how the 39 Super 8's are illustrated in the catalog's or factory photo's...apparently not that it matters...

Posted on: 2015/4/14 10:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Please note that my rack installation is "almost right". The bumper guards have been moved outboard to clear the rack.

The question about the 39 Super Eight luggage rack came from an experience at Salado this year. There was one of these Packards there. I almost had the class changed because I thought it was misrepresented as a 120 with senior trim items. "Often mistaken, but never confused." The grille bars were not alternately painted, it had a '40 120 instrument panel and gauges, plus the junior rack. However, after raising one of the hood panels a 3-piece 320 engine was present. I had failed to remember that these cars were based on the 120s. George Holinga came to the rescue and qualified the car, giving many suggestions to the new owner about authenticity. The senior trunk rack suggestion he made bothered me and thus the posting of the question. I think a senior rack would be more attractive, but it looks as if the junior rack is right. It is going to be a very nice car when all the details are worked out.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/4/14 12:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved