Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Overdrive relay on an R11 Tranny
Just popping in
Just popping in

Tudisco49
See User information
Need advice

I am trying to get the OD working on my R11 tranny. I would like to bench test the relay that is mounted to the tranny. I hope to remove it, put power to it and watch the shaft (prowl) activate. So tried removing it, but seems as if the prowl internally is hung up on something and won't let go. I don't want to force it out, anyone have ideas before I break something ?

Posted on: 2020/3/13 14:55
 Top  Print 

Re: Overdrive relay on an R11 Tranny
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Rotate it 1/4 turn and it will pull out. Be sure to reverse that procedure on installation so that the shank of the solenoid seats in the pawl in the tranny rather than sit on top of it.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 16:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Tudisco49,
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include your 49(?) Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry

Posted on: 2020/3/13 17:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tudisco49
See User information
Is that a 1/4 turn clockwise or counter clockwise or doesn't it matter ? Thanks for your help will be giving that a try !!

Posted on: 2020/3/13 18:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Just an FYI but it's a solenoid, not a relay. The relay is mounted under the hood on the firewall.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 19:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
See your '49 in this Recent Photo.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 22:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Posted: 2020/3/27 4:49 from Tudisco49

Unfortunately he posted this in the photo archive. Don't know, how to get him out there.

"Need more advice from the experts on the form. So still working on my R11 overdrive. Car was rewired badly by a previous owner. I have been rewiring the OD based on the diagram on this site. All I really want is for the overdrive to work. I can see that this car had the "electromatic clutch", but someone removed the control valve body. My problem ! Per the diagram the "governor" is supposed to have one wire go to the control valve body (that is missing). If all I really want is for the OD to work does the govenor even need to be wired ?? Without the control valve body I have nothing to wire the govenor to. Thanks in advance."

Posted on: 2020/3/27 14:49
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Additional Tudisco49 was trying to tell us:

"Wiring diagram I am using."

Click to enlarge!

Attach file:

jpg  (105.13 KB)
757_5e7e5adf5ed18.jpg 793X1000 px

Posted on: 2020/3/27 14:58
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the OD to work automatically you do need the governor.

Prior to 51 models the governors had two wires exiting the case. The wire for the EC is connected to ground all the time before the car reaches overdrive speed. The other wire for the OD is not connected to ground until speed is reached. When overdrive cut in speed of roughly 20mph is reached the wires change state. At changeover the EC wire is disconnected from ground and the OD wire is connected to ground. The loss of ground on EC disables automatic operation of the clutch if that option is present and grounding the OD wire brings in the OD relay to energize and enable the OD solenoid (providing the lockout and kickdown switch is also closed). 51 and later governors only have 1 wire for the OD because there was no need for the second wire since the EC option was dropped after the 50 models.

On the pre 51 governors if the car was not equipped with the EC option the OD wire only is connected. The EC wire on the governor is extra and just coiled up and tucked aside out of the way of damage. You can disconnect it now and tuck it aside if your control valve is missing.

Here are the two governors showing the wires and an OD wiring diagram showing the contacts in the relay and switches.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.56 KB)
209_5e7e5da39a953.jpg 640X357 px

jpg  (51.49 KB)
209_5e7e5e119ee00.jpg 768X593 px

Posted on: 2020/3/27 15:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved