Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 73

RICZ, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 107 108 109 (110) 111 112 113 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
shorthand notes of some thoughts

Quote:
...semi-finished shells which were then machined to fit...

Bearing shells consist of different materials that become softer, going from inside to outside, often starting with bronze as a base up to the babbitt (alloy) as the bedding-in layer. The babbitt surface is paper-thin. When disambled after reaching the end of lifecycle the coppercolored bronze of the base often gleams through. Who machined the shells?

Quote:
...Is it the assembly? Not very likely...

In the knowledge that Wade is a master of his trade and Mal a partner extraordinaire it isn't easy to speculate. How about the axial clearance of the crankshaft and your way of accurat determination? As you know the gauge must be solidly connected to the cylinder crankcase and its tracer should touch the crankshaft edge, the pulley or the flywheel (sorry for making a virtue of the obvious). When moving the crankshaft with some power in axial direction even minor deviations are visible unless the dial gauge is inaccurate. Once I tried to challenge a sprint record with the use of an inaccurate stop watch.

Quote:
...Thoughts? Opinions? Insights? Anything?...

The play of the crankshaft sliding bearings influences the oil pressure. The smaller the play, the higher is the pressure. Therefore the oil pressure is useable as an indicator for the play of the crankshaft bearings. Did you observed particular divergences in recent months or even right after engine rebuild?

Quote:
...What other factors could be at play?...

Last but not least the oil quality comes to my mind.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 7:34
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The oil temperature should not be forgotten to mention which may causes a discontinuity or even break down of the film of oil on the inner surface of the shells. To open the attached list of mugshots takes some few seconds.

Wade & Mal, chin up, chest out.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 321.79 KB; Hits: 69

jpg  (20.17 KB)
757_4f8efdb14be7b.jpg 500X338 px

Posted on: 2012/4/18 12:12

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gerd,

Thanks for your thoughts and the reference material supplied. I'm sure Wade will find them useful in his search for the cause of the bearing failure.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 16:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Just popping in
Just popping in

JWall
See User information
Mal,
Not sure of the exact url addy but Clevite bearing has a number of pics of failed bearings with explanations. Search for Clevite bearing failure and you will find it. Pass the info on to Wade and make a conclusion. Such a shame labor wise...
Jim

Posted on: 2012/4/18 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Not sure of the exact url ...

Mal, --> this way please.
Thanks Jim!

Posted on: 2012/4/18 21:18

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thank you both Jim and Gerd, I'll make sure Wade is aware of this resource.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 21:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Jim, to literally "read" bearing shells seems to be a great work method. I hope that BigKev will agree to include this article in the How-To's & Tech Tips. Future generations will call us the bearing shell whisperers.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.07 KB)
757_4f9041f046722.jpg 500X702 px

Posted on: 2012/4/19 10:32

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Posted in the How To section.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 14:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Should I say Gerd?

While I am constantly amazed at your juxtaposition of concepts, making connections unseen by others, I never thought of Wade as a serial killer with me as his accomplice.
Although......we all have our secrets, some darker than others!

Posted on: 2012/4/19 16:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 23rd April 2012

No action at the workshop at the end of last week although I did meet Wade there late Friday morning. We were off to the funeral of, Ted, the guy who organised the Morris Minor Picnic Club OASIS runs on the first Tuesday of each month. Oasis stands for Old And Seriously Into Speed! Only 71yo, a great guy and there was a row of Morris Minors outside the chapel as a tribute from his mates.

This morning though Dr Wade, and his assistant Boris Mal, were off to make a house call on Emily who was feeling poorly. Would run but coughed, sputtered and stumbled. Besides basic tools, a meter and a booster pack, Wade also took transportation in the form of a car trailer behind the Ute "just in case". Richard and Wendy ushered us into the patient who took a little while to get started but she eventually did. Fuel and carburetion seemed OK so Wade turned to the ignition side. First getting the distributor cap off proved a challenge in itself. Then taking the rotor button out revealed two things, the top contact of the button was very worn and examining inside the cap found virtually no carbon contact. A tweak of the rotor button and a clean of the points now resulted in a non running condition. Must have disturbed that fine balance between just and not running. Another check then revealed no spark at the plugs so Wade removed the distributor and we returned with it to the workshop for further diagnostics and work.

Back at the workshop though, there wasn't another cap or rotor to fit. Although there were plenty for 120's, Wade's previous stock in trade. Casting around for 110/Six owners I rang JohnM but he didn't have any spares. Wade then rang John, Juniors Dad, who has two distributors both Auto-Lite although Emily's is a Delco-Remy. So it was determined that, while parts were being procured for the Delco-Remy, Emily would have to get by with an Auto-Lite until such time as the Delco-Remy was fixed. But how to go about this? Emily had been about 15 miles north of the workshop while Junior is at the opposite end of the spectrum, about 40+ miles south. Fortunately for Wade Boris Mal volunteered to be the courier and went for a Monday afternoon drive south. Wish I'd known a week ago, could have picked it up on the way to/from looking at the rusty '37 for sale at Mittagong which is even further south still. Oh well, not to worry, I was rewarded by John giving me the left hand threaded part of the snubber off Junior. Why? Because he'd found, of all things, a NOS snubber! B@$7@&d! Also saw Junior in dishevel with radiator out being repaired, see this thread. Radiator is due back tomorrow after repairs.

I'll drop the distributors, cap and rotor into the workshop early tomorrow morning so Wade can get onto it without delay. I won't be there for that because, on arriving home, I was informed we were booked for a grand-daughter visit tomorrow morning. Not complaining, Packards do have to run second to some things in life. Should be able to drop in later though so I'll be able to see how things progressed.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.52 KB)
226_4f951aad9da93.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.88 KB)
226_4f951ac1aff06.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (68.35 KB)
226_4f951ad38c729.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.90 KB)
226_4f951ae96422f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.10 KB)
226_4f951b04def69.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (16.81 KB)
226_4f951b187c08d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (46.05 KB)
226_4f951b344a02c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.67 KB)
226_4f951b4370fae.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.87 KB)
226_4f951b62ee530.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.06 KB)
226_4f951b77004af.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/4/23 4:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 107 108 109 (110) 111 112 113 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved