Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 31 »

Re: ZIS 110
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Alas, I have no Chaika's to need parts for (but could find room for one if it came my way) but the instruments for the GAZ 13 sure looks like they would be at home in my Caribbean.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 18:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks very similar to a number of good old US of A type horns although the adjust nuts may be a bit different. Maybe we stole their design...

Posted on: 2009/3/10 16:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
but to me this is a bit close to the bone

I'd guess you feel about the same about that as I do when I see a nice bona-fide 30s V12 classic with a Chevy crate motor, tilt steering wheel, Turbohydramatic, AC, and power windows.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 18:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote:.......I'd guess you feel about the same about that as I do when I see a nice bona-fide 30s V12 classic with a Chevy crate motor, tilt steering wheel, Turbohydramatic, AC, and power windows.

Dave,

I never would have guessed!

Posted on: 2009/3/14 1:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Excellent explanation. It shows why I'm seriously considering replacing the leaky, patched, Electro-hydraulic system on my '41 Packard limo with either modern 12 volt "hotrod" electric units, 6 volt Ford units or as a last resort, manual crank regulators. The pump unit under the floor weighs as much as a starter motor.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 19:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One minor clarification for the postwar Packard systems. The pump only turns one direction and supplies pressure. To lower a window or move the seat back, the pump does not operate--just the solenoid valve opens and spring tension pulls the window down and fluid returns. To raise or move the seat forward the valve opens and pump operates simultaneously. To open or close the top, the pump operates for both motions but there is a reversing valve to direct the fluid properly. Gerd is correct on the other point--it's impossible to raise and lower a window at the same time. Believe prewars work the same but not entirely sure-- although they have very different parts so the fluid may get sucked out of those if the pump runs when lowering.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.48 KB)
209_49dd5d1bdcf84.jpg 434X341 px

jpg  (17.39 KB)
209_49dd5e7883a67.jpg 398X637 px

Posted on: 2009/4/8 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
As far as opening the windows is concerned, the pre-war principal is the same... the valve opens, the spring pulls the window open and the hydraulic fluid returns to the storage tank... the pump does not run. That's why when the system starts to leak, the windows slowly open and the rain pours in. Goodbye real wood veneer window garnish! Also, they used brake fluid in the system. You can imagine what the paint looks like after a leak in the door.

I'll try to get a photo of the '41 pump and storage tank tomorrow.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 23:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here's the picture of the '41 hydraulic window pump and the tank. The pump alone weighs more than 17 pounds.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.04 KB)
188_49de5cd2da34c.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2009/4/9 15:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Packard also used a gear type pump but at about double the pressure if I did the conversion right. 200-250 PSI. The prewar tops were vacuum but post war all were hydraulic. Windows and seats too until 54. 55-56 the top used the reversible pump motor and electric motors for rest. Picture shows the type gear pump used. Packard used mostly the Dura pump rather than Moraine but essentially same workings.

I had the brake fluid setup in a 54 Pacific and sympathize about the leaks. Have read that some have converted to trans fluid or power steering fluid to eliminate that problem.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.82 KB)
209_49de8f648cd9c.jpg 600X377 px

Posted on: 2009/4/9 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Gerd,

Here's a plate from the parts manual that shows the whole setup (less the additional complexity needed for the limo divider window). Interestingly, the '41 does not have a 'master' control for the driver/chauffeur only a single switch for the driver window.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article on Power Windows that might be of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_windows

Attach file:

jpg  (118.72 KB)
188_49debebad9cf8.jpg 1036X615 px

Posted on: 2009/4/9 22:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved