Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 199

Tobs, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 »

Re: Tim's '55 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Great tip Ross! Thanks for that.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 7:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Ross, once again I bow to your expertise and am once again in your debt. Superb idea and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Stay posted.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 8:28
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Another thing I usually do is fully remove the bleed screws first give the threads a good clean then put a wrap of narrow PTFE thread tape around the threads and reinstall, I probably like most people have had problems in the past with rounded, siezed and snapped off bleed screws, this will prevent this happening in the future and also help prevent air being drawn in when the bleed screw is opened for bleeding as per Ross excellent method...

Posted on: 2013/8/5 23:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Thanks again to Ross and the other contributors to this blog. Managed to get the Patrician's new brake system bled and another problem raised its ugly head.

My master cylinder is hemorraging brake fluid now when I press the brake pedal. My two suspects are the reservoir cap and the junction block where the two brake lines feed off of the master cylinder. I haven't spent the time to narrow down the culprit, but that's a project for another day. At least the system is full of fluid and my next chore is tracking down the leak in the master.

Nothing is ever easy, is it?

Posted on: 2013/8/7 19:38
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The reservoir cap (or even the cover) shouldn't be the source of a leak under the condition that you described.

When you press the pedal, the compensator port valve closes and seals the reservoir off from any fluid under pressure - provided that valve is installed and working properly.

Could be a leak at the outlet end of the M/C; a copper gasket and or flared end of brake tubing may not be fully seated.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 8:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Check the brake light switch. My car was leaking fluid there from around the crimped seal beween the fitting and the Bakelite body of the switch.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 13:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I was finally able to have my son assist me today in an attempt to find out where the leak in the master cylinder was. I found it. It appears that fluid was pouring out of the base of the fitting where the two brake lines meet the master cylinder when pressure is applied to the brake pedal. I tightened the fitting as hard as I could and it was still leaking significantly when pressure was applied to the brake pedal. I'm resigned to the fact that I have to remove and refit that coupler to the master cylinder, but what should I be looking for when I remove it?

Posted on: 2013/8/17 20:44
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Any scratches or gouges on the bolt head, cylinder end or either side of the fitting for a starter. If you didn't install new copper washers that would also be a good move and could be the source of the leak.

I was able to replace the washers on older models with Napa UP 1245 and UP 1246. I believe Packard used the same washers on yours. If Napa can't match the washers, Kanter says they have them.

Others have said they have had success annealing the old ones for reuse but if they are severely scarred or crushed with overlapping circular patterns I don't know how well they would seal.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 21:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Thank you, my friend.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 22:08
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well, I managed to get the missing copper washers from NAPA and will be removing the master cylinder to install them and then bench-test the thing before it is re-installed. At least there were no leaks coming from the four wheel cylinders when the system was filled with fluid, only leak was the master cylinder and that was my fault. Too eager to get the re-build master into the Patrician, I guess.

Some other responsibilities have interfered with my work on both the Patrician and the Four Hundred - I became a Sea Scout Ship Skipper in October of 2012 and much of my spare time on weekends from March through October revolves around boating with my Sea Scouts as well as maintaining our fleet of sail and motor boats and servicing our Ship's outboard engines. I'm hoping to get enough time once the Ship's fleet is ship-shape to return to the Packards with a little more gusto.

Posted on: 2015/4/4 23:32
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved