Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 21 »

Re: Russian Chaika [means seagull]
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Gerd, if you ever come across a spare set of those switch bezels, I'd like to have a set. I think it'd be funny as hell to put those on a '55-'56 Packard dash and watch the comments from onlookers at a car show! (Uhhh, it's an original Russian undercover KGB car from the '50s, used right here in the States!)

Posted on: 2009/1/3 21:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, just curious but don't want you to spend a lot of time on finding an answer. Am sure you have better things to do.

Was thinking the button layout almost looks like the Chrysler setup except buttons are round instead of square.

Posted on: 2009/1/3 22:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Russian Tchaika [means seagull]
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I see a lot of Chrysler styling engineering features the Dash has a 55 56 Chrysler look as does the steering wheel. The under hood generator and heater box plus the power brake booster.
Appears to me that a lot of features or the look of parts were borrowed from different companies. That is a common practice in the auto industry . The engine and has a International truck like appearance to me. The upper a arm on the suspension looks similar to current designs while the lower looks lake the Buick casting rather than the more common steel pressed style common in mid 50 US designs.
I would like to be able to go to a U-pull junk yard and look over one of these cars. I always enjoy looking at cars of different years and manufacture in the junk yards

Posted on: 2009/1/4 0:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Gerd, PM sent, and my curiosity I must say is rather "stimulated"!

Posted on: 2009/1/10 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How do the bezels attach??? What is the thread if they are threaded????

Posted on: 2009/1/10 21:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Guscha. Are u affected any by the Gazprom shut down???

Posted on: 2009/1/10 22:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Gerd, thanks for trying. That large rear "flywheel" in pict 1 appears to be the same emergency brake drum and sure makes me think Chrysler again.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 10:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
There is little confusion in the thread. The Tchaika or "Chaika" (as it has usually been known and spelled in the USA) and the ZIL are similar, but different cars. Just like the 1955-56 Packard and Clipper. I think of the Chaika as the counterpart to the Clipper. Both even have two syllables.

Often I have seen ZILs referred to as Chaikas and vice-versa. In one set of photos in the thread there is an obvious ZIL, but it is labeled as a Tchaika. ZIL is the senior car and looks more like a 1956 Packard from the front. There were different versions of the ZIL (sedans, limos, convertibles) and a special ZIL 111G that was made in a convertible for Nikita Kruschev.

The ZIL (actually ZIL 111) was NOT based on 1956 Packard factory dies, but was obviously copied the senior Packard right down to the cathedral style tail lights in the rear. Some pieces were copied from 1957 Ford (like the side trim), some from 1956 Ford, some from Cadillac, some from Pontiac, some from Chrysler, etc.

The Chaika (like the 1955-56 Clipper) had toned-down grille, different side trim, tail lights and rear quarters.

There is a Chaika in the LeMay museum collection in Tacoma Washington. However, it is described as the "car for communist party high rollers." In fact, if you were a big wheel in Russia, you were in a ZIL... smaller wheels rode in Chaikas!

Posted on: 2009/2/7 12:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gerd,

I for one am never tired of hearing about them. The Soviet cars really get no exposure is the US, and the pictures you post are probably the most any of us have ever seen about them.

Keep up the good and appreciated work!

Posted on: 2009/2/7 16:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gerd,
with Kev on this, your contributions are always appreciated whether they are for the "Packard cousins" or on Packard matters. The insights you give to us on Soviet vehicles and to their wider community and history are enlightening, keep 'em coming!

Posted on: 2009/2/7 19:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 21 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved