Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Inner door pull wrap on '47 Super Clipper
Just popping in
Just popping in

Billybats
See User information
Hi everyone, I'm new to Packard Info. I'm working on a 1947 Packard Super Clipper (as you might have figured out), and I'm having trouble finding new wrap for the inner door pull. It's made from vinyl I believe, and it's a clear half-round shape. The hard part is finding some wrap that's the proper width. The stock width is 3/16", but after scouring the internet and almost wearing out Google, I can only find 3/32" width wrap from various craft sites and stores. Does anyone know a place that sells the half-round wrap in 3/16" widths? Thanks very much.

Billybats

Posted on: 2013/1/21 13:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Inner door pull wrap on '47 Super Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It should be easy enough at a furniture restoration shop to find old fasioned seat caning ribbon which is exactly what the original material was meant to look like. Modern plastic caning will be much more flexible than the traditional vegetable stuff which probably won't like to make the sharp bends.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 14:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I also have a 47 super clipper-not sure which part you are asking about-I redid the armrests-used Bill Hirsch as source for the material. Got a local person to actually recover the armrest with the material(material is not cheap). He also did the kickpanels used a vinyl material he had that matched the orginal very close.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 14:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Billybats,
to PackardInfo.

And I invite you to include your '47 Super Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/1/21 15:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might look into clear vinyl or tygon tubing such as the type used for aquariums. Several years ago one of the Packard clubs mentioned that as a suitable replacement.

The standard sizes available in pet stores might be too large but worth looking. Here is Amazons 1/16 ID with an OD of roughly 1/8". When wrapped flat and pulled tight around the bar it should be almost the correct size. Probably have to do all 4 to make them match though. I don't remember how they said it was secured -- maybe some hot glue on the inner side.

Also don't know how clear the original material really was since with age they have all yellowed to some extent. If the tubing turns out to be too "clear", perhaps thinning some amber transparent lacquer and flushing it thru the tube would bring things to a deeper hue.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.55 KB)
209_50fda60e6ec6b.jpg 1101X483 px

Posted on: 2013/1/21 15:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
If you are talking about the pull handle on the Custom Super I have seen aquarium tubing used convincingly. Don't use lacquer on it!

Posted on: 2013/1/21 15:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe lacquer is not a good idea since it might crack. I was originally going to suggest transparent glass stain. I've used that quite successfully many times on various flexible items but it seems to have gone the way of the dodo -- at least here in Calif. Maybe it is still available other places.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 15:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Billybats,
I used 1/8 clear plastic tubing and it looks like it works the best. But I also tried splitting the tubing in half and it look even better. I made up a youtube video to show the difference and how I did it. My only problem this time was splitting the tubing, it looks like my razor blade has cut into the copper tubing and is causing it to no longer cut straight.
Seehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh8n8HEvTjU
Also on my Maroon Packard I notice that the pull handles in the front are wrapped in a different direction than the back. I would think they would all be wrapped the same direction. If somebody else could check their car and let us know if their handles are wrapped all the same direction or if this was a mistake made before I got the car.
Hope this helps.
Wes

Posted on: 2013/1/22 12:04
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Billybats
See User information
Thanks everyone so much for your help and info. I've now got 2 to 3 avenues to try next, which is so much more than I had before I posted! Thanks a lot to Owen Dyneto, I think I'm going for your option first. Also thanks to HH56 (and b kazmer) for the tygon idea. As for the yellowing, if the tubing is too clear I may try soaking it in oil and maybe even heating it to get the color into the plastic. I have a little composites oven that I can do this in (it has a timer so I can't forget to turn it off). Thanks also Wesley Boyer for the split tubing idea. I already have an idea for a nice little jig that will let me make nice straight cuts in the tubing consistently. Packard 1949 thanks for the Bill Hirsch idea, I may call them to find out what they might have to offer. I'm about to get some carpet from them, so they might want to help me out since I'm already spending money. I'll post some pics and let you guys know what I ended up doing once it's done. Thanks again so much!

Bill

Posted on: 2013/1/22 18:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Wes, we 2106 owners owe you a round of applause for your innovative solution to splitting the clear tubing. Well done! One question: How did you secure the ends of the tubing once you wrapped it on the pull handle?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/1/22 18:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved