Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

No One-Sixty Was Harmed - Streetrod
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Saw this on Hemmings
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/160/1741599.html?refer=blog

Thankfully (I guess) it was a 120 convertible sedan (body 1497) and not a 160 (body 1477) that was sacrificed for this project. Dead giveaway was the data plate, flip out vent windows and fixed radiator louvers. The One-Sixty script, tail-lights and F/R bumpers are bolt-ons from a 160 though.

Guess he did not like the stock running boards and made his own. The Packard family crest on the sidemount covers and the 1950s (replica) wire wheels add that special street rod "bling." Surprised he didn't add dual spotlights for added effect.

Posted on: 2015/5/17 13:41
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Re: No One-Sixty Was Harmed - Streetrod
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was a similar looking and questioned 160 with flip out windows discussed a few months ago. Unless I missed an update, believe the consensus then was flip out was probably correct for early 160s but no one knew numerically exactly when the changeover to crank type was made. As was mentioned, with the other items cited probably not a real 160 here but still someone did a nice job with the modern undertaking. Be interesting to see if anyone bites at that high price or what it actually sells for.

Posted on: 2015/5/17 14:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I never understand how a non original packard should be worth $50-75k more than an original.

Posted on: 2015/5/17 15:19
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
Amen, my brother. I don't get it either......

Posted on: 2015/5/17 17:15
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Just a tad pricey at $150K, but its not built to appeal to the purist but to the "look-at-me, I-have-too-much-money-but-no-taste" crowd. On the positive side, when the wealthy narcissist tires of his Packard "toy" most of the hard body work is done, maybe someone buy it cheap, restore it back to just a plain, old 120 again.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/5/17 17:28
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
According to the parts book crank venti-panes were a Super 8 exclusive from 1939 onward so any car without them should be a fake.

I think a drunk two year old could have done a better job on the Vin plate. It looks like shxt.

It takes less work to chop a car and any body shop can do it. As far as the price goes, scrap metal is way down and a modern car is more practical so this junker would have a hard time against and pickup truck.

I think it will sit unsold for years. Hopefully the guy that commission this piece of junk is still alive and will have to endure his lack of taste and intelligence.

Posted on: 2015/5/17 19:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
Hate to break the news to you old guys but what do think your Packards are going to be worth when your all gone. People under 40 don't even know what a Packard is or even care. It's not only Packards it's all old cars. And as far as it easy to chop up a car it takes more time and money and know how. Anybody can restore a car nothing has change it's just all shiny and new again.

Posted on: 2015/5/17 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I'm most intrigued by the statement that the spare tires are vulnerable to damage when stored in the sidemount wells. I owned a '41 160 sedan and I never had any sidemount tire damage. I think what really happened is this car is fitted with 15 inch P-metric radials which are a much fatter doughnut than the original 16 inch bias plies were. They probably had problems squeezing those tires into the wells, necessitating the trunk-mounted spare. They also left the sidemount cover trim band off for some unexplained reason.

Posted on: 2015/5/17 22:21
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Loui,
I disagree with you on the fact that all our cars will go to the chopping block at 1 point. I myself am under 40 and so are several others here on PI. I have also noticed that there are more younger people interested in these older original cars. 10 years ago I thought that packard was a part of a computer company. Through the knowledge I gained from this forum and a few members up in person I've been able to help others in buying and repairing their packards! We need to educate people that there were more than just chevy's & ford's 80 years ago!

Posted on: 2015/5/18 6:21
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
According to the parts book crank venti-panes were a Super 8 exclusive from 1939 onward so any car without them should be a fake.

As was mentioned earlier, if you go here and start at post #44 (https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15363&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=40), you will note that the push out vent windows were correct for early 160 convertible sedans and convertible coupes.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 8:43
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved