Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard (?) Hood Ornament ID Help Needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Hi folks, hope I'm putting this in the correct area. If not, hopefully BigKev/moderators will move it to the correct area.

Received this hood ornament in with some Studebaker parts. The guy I got these parts from said the hood ornament was from a Packard. I sure don't know, so decided to go to the experts.

The length is approximately 17-1/2", and the number cast into the bottom is 407593 7811.

Does anyone recognize this as Packard, and if so, what year(s) and model(s)?

And, if not Packard, does anyone recognize what it may have come from?

Thanks very much for any assistance!

Attach file:

jpg  (123.90 KB)
192056_5d815a2dda213.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (128.59 KB)
192056_5d815a3e38879.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (76.47 KB)
192056_5d815a510b182.jpg 820X615 px

Posted on: 2019/9/17 17:12
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard (?) Hood Ornament ID Help Needed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe that is what is commonly referred to as the "Egyptian" ornament which was an option for the 23rd and maybe 22nd series.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=208653#forumpost208653

There is a large photo showing various Packard ornaments over the years somewhere on site where I believe it is shown and it is also well covered in Bob Neals book on the 48-50 Packards.

Posted on: 2019/9/17 17:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
"The Egyptian" shown in the 1949 accessory price list as being applicable to the 22nd and 23rd Series 1948, 1949, and 1950 (all models). List price was $10.00.

Posted on: 2019/9/17 18:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
JD in KC wrote: "The Egyptian" shown in the 1949 accessory price list..... List price was $10.00.

But Paul, your nice example will command a much better price today!

Posted on: 2019/9/17 19:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Thanks everyone for the info!

Mal, what would be a reasonable price for this ornament? I don't expect to have a '48-'50 Packard (but hope to have a '54 thru '56 ), so this might as well get into the hands of someone who can use it.

Posted on: 2019/9/17 21:13
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Paul,

I bought mine, about same condition as yours, off US eBay about 18 months back. It had a Buy-it-Now of US$285.00 together with a Make Offer option, and I made an offer of US$225.00, which was accepted.

See there are a couple on eBay at the moment with one at $225.00 B-I-N and the other $99.00 or Make Offer. Your Ornament looks to be better than the $225.00 one and way, way better than the $99.00.

Posted on: 2019/9/17 21:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Thanks everyone for the info, and thanks Mal for the ebay links. I'll have to keep an eye on them to see if they sell.

Posted on: 2019/9/18 20:26
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Thought I would let everyone know the disposition of the Egyptian hood ornament. When Paul (r1lark) wrote his original post, I knew exactly what he had and sent him a PM. I asked if he would be willing to donate it to the Packard Proving Grounds. After much consideration he agreed to do so.

We had a little excitement as it took an extra-long time for shipping during the holiday season, but the ornament finally arrived at the proving grounds in great shape.

Before it arrived, we knew which car we wanted to mount it on - a 22nd series, 1948/9 Custom Eight. The car was generously donated by the family of PAC member, Elliott J. Bayly of Duluth, Minnesota. By the way, Mr. Bayly also donated a 1948 Station Sedan and a 1942 Super Eight, Clipper Touring Sedan this past year.

As you see the car is finished in Serpentine Green and has a correct green wool interior. I believe the car color accentuates the uniqueness of the Egyptian hood ornament. Now we have another story to tell our visitors that Packard had more than just cormorant and winged goddess of speed mascots in their inventory.

Paul donation was to honor the memory of his grandfather (Anthony J. Warta, Sr.), his father (Anthony J. Warta, Jr.), and his uncle (Clarence E. Warta) who all were Packard dealers.

Many thanks to Paul.

Attach file:

jpg  (99.49 KB)
436_5e0ff7a3f0150.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (67.89 KB)
436_5e0ff7afa6b72.jpg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2020/1/3 21:25
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved