Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 233

William Grosz, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

bushings for shift idler lever?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kelly brickey
See User information
Our 1948 22nd series sedan has problems shifting properly due to worn out bushing in the linkage, specifically, each end of the two selector rods that reach from the idler to the transmission levers. Has anyone found a supplier for these? Or, if NLA, maybe some other elegant solution to the problem?
Thanks for any help. Kelly

Posted on: 2012/1/22 10:37
 Top  Print   

Re: bushings for shift idler lever?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sorry to say, but IIRC you are one of several looking for bushings in the last couple of years. I believe the others have come up mostly empty handed & don't recall anyone reporting back with what they wound up doing if ones they needed were NLA.

Seems each vendor had one or two bushings at the time but not all or a complete new assy of one piece--but not it's mate. Max Merritt now says inquire so maybe. Even if buying all available, believe no one found everything that would be sufficient to do a complete proper job on one car.

If you do need bushings, think about the only option currently is for a visit to a machine shop with the pertinent pieces and have them do their thing with whatever modern is available. If you wanted to try something yourself, McMaster-Carr and MSC have a nice selection of bushings but to use any modern stock size looks like at least one item will require drilling, cutting, or machine work in the particular location causing the problem.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 11:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Max merritt at one time had those bushings-if you cannot find them let me know. I might have some old ones. Also if you are having shifting problems-you might try putting some light oil(not wd40) in the small hole about 1/3 distance from steering gear and firewall. Then work the shift lever back and forth-it will get better and better. I thought I had problems with bushings also at one time-the lub solved the problem.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 13:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
Are those plastic flange bushings?

Can somebody post a picture?

Posted on: 2012/1/22 13:42
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Kelly,
Can't add anything to what's already been said, just wanted to you to PackardInfo.

And.....invite you to include your '48 Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 14:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
I agree with -packard49. Try the lube trick and if that doesnt help- start at the transmission- with linkage disconnected make sure the shift detent is working properly. If ok, move on to the front end of linkage. etc. etc. Do you have a service manual and a parts manual? If the bushings are truly the problem then a picture of the old one or the part number would help. Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/1/22 15:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BlackBeerd wrote:
Are those plastic flange bushings?

Can somebody post a picture?

Here's a photo of some from a 47 which are the same as ones being asked about--although not sure these are the specific ones needed. There were different part numbers for various locations but not sure what details changed without study.

These are steel and have a slight rounded contour with the clearance ridge on each side. Very early ones were a rubber compound but was apparently a quick wear item so were replaced with the steel.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.53 KB)
209_4f1c85f5c454e.jpg 640X270 px

Posted on: 2012/1/22 17:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kelly brickey
See User information
Thanks for the responses guys. I do have the manuals and have the part number. I haven't actually torn the linkage apart yet, I just noticed how floppy the linkage was in the bushing, when I was lubricating things. Just wanted to take out the slop before I try to adjust the linkage...

Posted on: 2012/1/23 1:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2012/1/23 2:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kelly brickey
See User information
So, I cleaned up the linkage and bushings, climbed under the car with wrenches and a drill bit to index the gear selector and set about adjusting everything. It worked well and now it shifts pretty well.
Thanks for the advice gentlemen, Kelly

Posted on: 2012/1/28 22:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved