Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 117

Kiff Rule, packardsix1939, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Restoration
Just popping in
Just popping in

tedk53
See User information
What do you think about partial restoration of survivor Packards? For instance, re-chroming of original Caribbean wire rims where the original spokes etc. are pitted or rusted and some chrome flaking off? Worth doing as apposed to buying new?

Posted on: 2013/12/27 9:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Restoration
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The more common expression for such restoration work is "sympathetic restoration", that done while at the same time maintaining as much originality as practical.

IMO replating the OEM wire wheels would not significantly detract from the originality and overall would enhance appearance and thus value. In contrast, at least as a me, replacement of the wheels with any new wire wheel not a duplicate of the OEM wheel would not add, and probably detract from the value.

Posted on: 2013/12/27 10:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day tedk53,
Although a member for a long time see it's your first post, so to PackardInfo.

And, I invite you to include your Packard(Caribbean?) in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/12/27 13:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Simply a matter of what you prefer. It's your car. That only affects what the next guy will pay and how much you spend on/invest in it.
You can always find a buyer in one of the categories, restored, original, or partial. Highest dollar (not just Packard's) usually goes to either an untouched low mile original or a "gorgeous" 100 pt restoration. Anything else fits in the one of the CAAA, etc. categories and takes a hit on price. Auction price depends on the audience and current market.
You might be surprised if you take it to a knowledgeable detailer and let them work some magic. Chrome can clean up and buff out sometimes and sometimes not. Once it's down to the pit it might not look that bad.
I'm setting my own standard and buffing out or rechroming as I see best/acceptable results and shooting for a "new" appearance. I'd say rechroming a few spokes or whole wheel is "better" than a "repro" wire but will not bring the difference in cost. You're preserving history at that point.

Posted on: 2013/12/28 16:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for including your survivor '53 Caribbean Convertible in the Registry. Looks good!

Posted on: 2013/12/29 13:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Ted:

Only a tiny fraction of cars are truly original anyway.
For example, the paint burned off the motor in short order.

Low mileage original cars are always limited use vehicles so if your plan is to use your car then refinishing as needed will be necessary to maintain the vehicle. Original paint that is weathered will allow moisture to penetrate and cause rust, so an original paint job should not be subjected to normal usage.

I've known of a few mint original pre-war cars that were kept as time capsules. The owners died and left a legacy that is largely unappreciated today.

Posted on: 2013/12/29 15:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
What a bee-yewtiful car! How do you feel when you drive it?! My opinion is - spend what you can afford to preserve it, keep it as original as you can, and feel the love!!!

Of course, I'm no accountant but I think a car like yours should be preserved for the rest of humankind to enjoy.

Posted on: 2013/12/30 7:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved