Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

We found and spoke to a prior owner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon all...Well, I had a bit of time the other day and decided to see if I could find 'Miss Prudence' prior owner. We purchased her from a wholesaler in Minnesota. However, he had never registered her and so he sent along the registration from David A. Raile in Grand Island, Nebraska. It took me about an hour on the internet to find an address and a phone number, no e-mail address. What to do? I decided to just make a phone call and see what would happen. David is 80 years young and remembered 'Miss Prudence' well. We had a great conversation and while he could not come up with the name of the man he purchased from, he thought he had it in his files. He is going to look up the information and call me. If you have the time to work back, one owner at a time, it is definitely worth it. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/3/27 18:26
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Re: We found and spoke to a prior owner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Hi Ernie:

Not long after I bought my Bumblebee Clipper from a delightful couple near Richmond, VA, I attempted to track down the history of my car, without much luck. Unless you have a one- or two-owner car or a rare, documented car, tracking your car back to wherever it was sold and to whom seems almost impossible. Packard dealerships have long disappeared along with most of the company's sales records.

I was lucky to find out a few facts about the car through the meticulous details of its 1980s restoration. My car was originally sold in Albuquerque, NM, where it lived until 1982 when it was loaded onto a trailed and hauled to Minnesota. The oldest record for the car is a fragile April 1962 customer copy of a service appointment at a shop in Albuquerque. Suffice to say that shop no longer exists.

Like you, I called and talked with the gentleman who restored the Clipper, but he was unable to give me any more information than I already had. I sent a letter to the New Mexico Department of Motor Vehicles to see if they had any history of the car via registration, but learned that they only keep records back about 20 years.

Finally, on a hunch, I contacted the Studebaker Club of Albuquerque. A member got back with me and while he was sympathetic, no one in the club had any knowledge of the Clipper.

I wish you the best of luck finding the history of your car. It don't think it will be time searching that will pose your biggest problem, but rather the reality of trying to find out owners who are probably dead and records that are long lost.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 10:59
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Threads like this always remind me how fortunate I have been to have purchased both my Packards from the original owners. Just a reminder, if your car is between the late 30s and late 40s and your patent plate shows your car was delivered by Newtown Motors of Elmira NY, McCormack Brothers of Birmingham Alabama, Goss Motors of Aurora Illinois, or the Finnish Packard distributor Autolya OY, a handful of the original delivery cards still exist for these cars in private collections and I also have copies of most of them. If you've got such a vehicle, let me know.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...At least we have information on one prior owner! I'll just stay after David and see if he can find anything. This week I'll speak to the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles and see if they have anything. I know it is a very long shot but even a blind pig procures a truffle once in a while. Enjoy your day. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/3/28 12:12
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Didnt JW's father own the dealership in NM around that time?

Posted on: 2016/3/28 12:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Regarding Mr. Bumble's Clipper, my father would not have sold that car. He was no longer a dealer after 1953, but did 'bootleg' in some 54s and 55s. He did, however, have a Constellation just like Bumble's, but I most seriously doubt that was the car. It had many modifications, including a switch from the TU to a pre-55 manual trans.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/3/28 13:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I suppose it could have been my car. the transmission wasn't original in it. it was sold used out of Sherman Texas.

edit...just reread...you said manual trans. don't think it was mine either.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 13:59
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
My car has its original Twin Ultramatic, as far as I can tell. There is no hole where a clutch would go and the steering column looks original as well.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 14:16
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
We're lucky that our car has been owned since nearly new by my wife's family, her great grandfather bought it from a local lawyer who ordered it but found it was too much to handle (80 something yrs old and no power steering) and so traded it back in after just 2 or 3 days, and Grampa Ted traded a '49 Packard for this car. Here's a picture of Ted as a German Army soldier during the Boxer Rebellion in China, 1901. Google it, in that little war the Germans were good guys along with the US among others. He came to the US in 1903 and homesteaded in SW North Dakota in 1907. The original house still stands on the farm, though not used now.

Ted died in 1963 and that was the last year this car was licensed, after that it was used to chase cows and foxes, and eventually parked in the trees, then moved to the shed in the '70's. And that's where we pulled it out of in 2013, significantly beat up but not badly rusted.

That history is what makes this car worth fixing up and keeping. Too cool to part with now.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.93 KB)
34001_5716f02beed71.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2016/4/19 21:57
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Hans,
Great story, great history and great family attachment for you and your Packard!

Posted on: 2016/4/19 22:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved