Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 230

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 143 144 145 (146) 147 148 149 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had blocked the exhaust from crossing over because the paint burnt up irritated me. I am going to remove the blocks after I make sheet metal covers to shield that area and bolt it down by the two big studs on either side of the Xover area.
Then I can paint the shields the engine color and it will look original.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 22:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day dano55400,
to PackardInfo!

And, I presume from your Forum Name you have a '55 400? If so, I invite you to include your Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2013/5/25 0:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Float numer 2 replaced... If that don't hold I'll have to try to solder the holes. So far the first one I replaced is holding.

Leaking gas from the atmospheric pressure valve, no idea what that's all about.

Figured out that I should have been plugging the vacuum this whole time and wasn't. I tell you... This is very mentally taxing.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 20:18
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Hank:

I can sympathize. Vacuum leaks in cars can drive you insane. The worst I ever faced was in my 1978 Lincoln Town Car. Vacuum powered all sorts of things on that car, including the door locks. Trying to track down leaks was like trying to herd cats -- it can be done, but what a hassle!

Posted on: 2013/5/28 6:25
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
in this case it was easy to find, as i have nothing running off vacuum yet. i just forgot to plug it up so i wasn't sucking air and running lean.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 8:49
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Leaking gas from the atmospheric pressure valve, no idea what that's all about.

It's intended to vent vapor from the fuel bowl, but should only be open at idle.

Liquid fuel leaks above the air horn (bowl cover) gasket are most likely due to overfilling of the fuel bowl.

If the floats aren't leaking, but installed correctly and set to the right level, then you've got a problem with a needle/seat or too much fuel pressure.

Walk away for a bit - take deep breaths - look at the shop manual again (both the illustrations and text) - logic it out.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 8:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are the atmospheric pressure valve and idle vent valve the same thing? If so there is an article in SC Vol30 #2 on gasoline fumes. It gives instructions on closing that valve off in 55 Rochesters if using a new gasket. I would wonder if that gasket is what is used in rebuild kits today and the valve should be closed off.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 9:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
No doubt the SC gives good advice - seem to recall that vent was eliminated from the 4GC for 56.

However, the recommendations wouldn't solve the real problem if it's liquid fuel that's coming out of the vent.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 10:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
its leaking from this valve...only not from the front...from where it presses into the horn. i may have to press it back out and put some sealer on it.

it is seaping from out the back side where it is circled and pooling up around that rubber nipple.

i checked my float level in the front by that spot through the inspection screw...it was fine, gas did not pour out when i took the screw out and i could see the float and gas level right at the bottom of the screw hole.

if that doen't work i'll use the top from my old carb...it doesn't even have this valve.

from what i can find on the net...its only for helping really hot starting and hot idling.

the other air horn i have is identical except this valve isn't there and nobody will see the top of the carb when the breather is on anyways.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.84 KB)
491_51a4ceccae33d.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  (51.69 KB)
491_51a4ced227fb7.jpg 768X1024 px

jpg  (35.93 KB)
491_51a4cfef13f4b.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2013/5/28 10:35
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't claim to be super-familiar with the Rochesters but I don't see how gas can leak from there unless the needle and seat has failed, floats are sunken or leaking, or you have an overpressure from an electric pump, as the gasoline in the fuel bowl never gets as high as the pivot or the top of the pump opening in the cover unless you have a failure to maintain the proper fuel level in the bowls. IIRC correctly one of the differences between the 55 and 56 Rochesters was that the 55s have a linkage-controlled anti-percolator or vent valve and the 56s don't (vented internally).

Posted on: 2013/5/28 10:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 143 144 145 (146) 147 148 149 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved