Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 78

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 Packard super 8 touring sedan. Need some advise
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
My dad found the car in the 1970's with a tree growing through it. It was still solid and mostly rust free. He started a restoration and completed the brakes, he has 4 front fenders completed one set with side mounts, one rear fender is completed. And the trunk lid and luggage rack. Two of the doors are repaired and ready for paint As is the hood and rad shroud. All the chrome is finished and he has many NOS parts in boxes and lots of extra parts that could be traded. The car needs the engine and Trans rebuilt and a complete interior including the wood. The car if I remember is only missing one part the chrome hood Louvre. My dad passed away last December and I don't have the place to work on it since I am already working on a 1947 super clipper. So we are thinking of selling it to someone who would restore it and not rod it or modify it to death. Would anyone know what it would be worth? Will try to locate some pictures. It also has the bijour oil system but as I understand they stopped using that in 1936. So the year of the car may be in question.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 16:28
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 Packard super 8 touring sedan. Need some advise
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The easiest way to determine a 36 from a 37 senior packard are the doors: 36 front & rear suicide doors, 37 only suicide doors in the back.

Hard to give a value without pictures.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 17:03
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For "senior" cars, Bijur would indicate 1936 and earlier. Another easy way to tell a senior 1936 from a 1937 or later (other than by the vehicle number) is to just take a peek at the front suspension - 1936 would still have a straight beam axle and leaf springs, 1937 would have independent front coil spring suspension (with hydraulic brakes as well).

Not to splash cold water, but if much of the structural body wood needs replacement, restoration will be labor of love; the cost for same will outweigh the value added and you (or a future restorer) will be deeply under water. Best to check the wood carefully to see exactly what the extent of damage is. A full engine rebuild will also be very expensive on the Super Eight. Like BDC I can't comment on value, pictures would be helpful, but what you say presents a dim picture for a restorer - what you really may have is a part donor car.

Posted on: 2015/8/12 17:18
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
Well I suspect the logical next question is what do they go for in good running condition? I just rebuilt the engine on my 47 Packard and it cost $5500. If a good running car is worth $50000 then it would not take to much time to spend that much on my car considering what it needs. I could more than likely do much of the work myself but have no good space or time to do it as I already have a 47 Packard and a 74 Pontiac LeMans. But it would still be a shame to see a beautiful car like this go for parts.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 7:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Photos would help. At the $50,000 level, it would be ready to win first-place awards at a CCCA Grand Classic. If all the chrome has been done, that is a huge cost savings for the potential restorer. Usually, the cost to rebuild the engine is twice what you paid to do yours. Upholstery can be another $15,000. Once the body work is done, paint will be another $10,000.

It is really tough to appraise your car without seeing a photo of it, so we can determine just how bad your wood is. Then it can be estimated the cost of the body work and wood.

You didn't mention if the chassis was restored.

If the wood is really bad, I agree that this would probably be a parts donor. A friend bought the exact same type of project (1937, which is a little more desirable than a '36) a couple of years ago for less than $5,000. Complete, but no new chrome. He also paid another $1,000 for a spare engine.

Even with your package of new chrome, I think you'd still have a hard time obtaining $10,000 in its current condition.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 7:42
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The last Packard 8 motor I did had a bent crank among other problems. The machine work ran $4,500.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 17:09
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
I would seem that rebuilding an engine in Canada is less expensive than in the U.S. I paid $3000 for the parts from Max Merritt and $2500 for the rebuild. I guess I got a good deal.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 18:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A thorough rebuild of a prewar detachable block engine is, cost-wise, is a very different proposition than the relatively simple later designs.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 18:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"I paid....$2500 for the rebuild. I guess I got a good deal"

Did they machine the crankshaft? That exercise, with removing and re-installing the counterweights, should be a considerable cost component.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 19:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
No the crank shaft was in perfect condition and only needed standard size bearings not over size ones. It did need a connecting rod, new valves, springs and guides, pistons, rings, and cam re ground. Also needed new lifter cups and lifters which I found NOS. took a while to gather all the parts. max Merritt was a huge help.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 17:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved