Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Optima Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
1954 Packard Clipper Two-Door Club Sedan, 327ci,165hp.

Do any of the members know what size and model of 6-volt optima battery fits this car?

Thanks again!

Posted on: 2016/4/13 17:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Optima Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I believe Optima make only one size 6V battery, it is much smaller than any conventional 6V battery so it will it any car with the necessary modifications to the hold down fittings.

I recently started a long term restoration project for the first time (1930 740). I had a 12 year old Optima that I had removed from a car for disposal a couple of years ago. I put it on charge on a 10 amp charger, it came up to 6.5 volts and easily turned over and started the tight newly reconditioned engine. I will be replacing it with a new one one the car is registered for road use.
I have also have a 10 year old Optima in another car and it still starts the car OK.

Posted on: 2016/4/13 18:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Optima batteries work great and their sealed design means you will never have to worry about acid spillage. Don't be fooled by their small size, they are the most powerful 6 volts around.
To make a holder, I cut out two pieces of plywood to the dimension of the battery tray in the car, then cut out a hole in each the optima to sit in. Screw the two pieces to some short wood spacers of the right height for the battery. Paint the holder black and install it in your battery tray.

Posted on: 2016/4/21 16:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
According to those who know, do not fast charge (high amps) a discharged Optima type battery. Slow and low (slow charge low amps).

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/4/21 18:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Make sure to use a RED Optima battery, and not a Yellow one.

Red is meant for us as a primary "starter" battery. Yellow is a deep cycle one.

Posted on: 2016/4/21 22:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
"do not fast charge (high amps) a discharged Optima"

I have been given the opposite advice by more tan one auto electrician, a flat Optima will not respond to a low amp charger, it needs a high amp charge to bring it up then it can be maintained by a self regulating charger.

My attempts to charge a flat Optima with a small charger have certainly not been succesful.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 2:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For the large Eights and Twelves of the 30s I find the large NAPA truck and commercial batteries to be a better choice, more cold cranking amps than a Optima. And they tend to last 8 or more years.

I only know of one instance of an Optima failing on high charge, it exploded. To Optima's credit they paid for all the resultant damages to the car.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 7:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I recently installed the red 6v Optima battery purchased through Amazon for $112, free shipping. It is much smaller and much lighter than the battery it replaced. I haven't had it in long to need charging. I'm told it's best to keep it fully charged.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 11:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved