Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

RCJ56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Former Packard Employees
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2017/1/22 17:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Former Packard Employees
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information

Posted on: 2017/1/22 23:24
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Encouraging article. We should wish them the best in the efforts to preserve the Packard plant. The plant rejuvenation when coupled with the proving grounds restoration will ensure the Packard story will continue.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/1/23 11:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Mal:

The link you provided takes you to a short story about Packard employee Fred J. Lyon - what a coincidence!

Five years ago, back in January 2012, I was the editor of Motor City Packards regional publication called "The Packard Digest" wherein I published a short article (with the attached photos) about Fred. It is shown below:

Several months ago I was contacted by Mike Finley. He wanted to know if I was interested in seeing some photos of his maternal grandfather, Fred J. Lyon, who worked at Packard from about 1908 to maybe as late as 1930. My answer was a definite--YES.

Fred was working for Packard, but he never did own a car. By 1911 he moved his family to 7043 Medbury to be closer to the plant. Medbury street runs parallel to and one block north of East Grand Boulevard. His home would have been two and a half blocks east of the plant. What a short commute! Mike's mother was born there in 1916. Today, that home is gone and only a couple of homes remain on the entire block.

In the 1910 census Fred listed his occupation as a "top-fitter at an auto company." By the 1920 census he was a "body-moulder" and by 1930 he was a "machine operator."

My online acquaintance, Mike, wonders why Packard might have taken these photos and what might be the special occasion. I do too. This was at a time that Detroit was growing as fast as the auto companies could produce automobiles. Sadly, that is not the case today. Study the photos and look at the faces that built our Packards and built our city. To me it is a compelling story.

I hope Fred J. Lyon and the rest of his co-workers know that they are not forgotten and their work at Packard lives on.

Luckily, for me I live in the Detroit area and we get to meet and talk with a number of former Packard employees.

[EDIT: After several attempts I cannot download the two photos. I get a message of an attempted attack. What's up?] Changed the title of the photos and now it works. Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (76.31 KB)
436_588a426fd6744.jpg 700X516 px

jpg  (61.79 KB)
436_588a4281d0b74.jpg 600X427 px

Posted on: 2017/1/26 10:18
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
After several attempts I cannot download the two photos. I get a message of an attempted attack. What's up?]

Check the title of the photos for any numbers separated by periods and if you find any remove them or maybe just retitle the photos to all letters. The site does not like the numbers followed by a period and then more numbers format. I suspect it thinks it might be a rogue internet address.

Posted on: 2017/1/26 10:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved