Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 224

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Zinc casting
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi all,
does anyone have experience casting small parts out of zinc, or know of somebody who does it at a reasonable cost? I have had parts cast using the "lost wax" method, but the quality of the final parts is less than desirable. I am looking to either have someone do sand or plaster casting of the lap robe handles for a model 645 closed car. The alternative is try my hand at it. The detail on the originals is impressive and I would hate to lose it with a bad casting. My research indicates they were originally cast with a zinc/magnesium/copper alloy that is crumbling with age. Does anyone have any knowledge of the process, or advice?

Attach file:

jpeg  image1 (5).jpeg (225.01 KB)
4844_63b3560a6270e.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/1/2 17:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Zinc casting
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
this may be too crazy, but here goes:
Some engineering students receive a emblem called a "bent" that is meant to resemble a bridge truss. I remember it being sand cast in bronze, and you had to polish it. If you contact a university's Engineering College you could ask where they source them. Or you could contact Tau Beta Pi, the engineering society.

Not sure why you want sand cast - the finish is usually a bit coarse compared to lost wax. Some jewelers use lost wax.

Additive manufacturing ("3D printing") is another possibility using the sintered metal process. Others here have much more experience with it than I.

Posted on: 2023/1/2 19:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For many years an excellent source for such parts was Gere Verdone who reproduced them in stainless steel via the lost wax method. He also had a very significant inventory of standard coachwork hardware. Gere's gone now but as I recall his business and inventory was purchased and continues. Anyone recall the details.....?

Posted on: 2023/1/2 19:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Many years ago someone here in Australia was casting 1920's Packard door handles and window winders in Pewter. The results were very good. I was concerned they might not be strong enough for handles but they were fine. The source has long gone but the reason for mentioning this is that the supplier said that Pewter with its very low melting point was easier to cast than say brass. just my 2 cents worth.

Posted on: 2023/1/2 20:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Talk to Crin on here, white glove collection

He just did some starter bezel castings

Posted on: 2023/1/2 21:10
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi David,
My limited research has led to a similar conclusion: pewter casting, using a silicone rubber molding process shows the most promise of retaining the detail of the original piece while providing enough durability to survive. I have a lead on a pewter casting artist here in California who hopefully doesn't charge exorbitantly. Thanks for the input.
John

Posted on: 2023/1/3 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If it can be disassembled at the pivot, it's right up Crin's alley. Unfortunately I've written to him a couple times about another project and have not gotten any response so he's either very busy of he doesn't check his junk mail folder.

Posted on: 2023/1/3 18:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I am not an expert, but the silicone method is what I was thinking when I saw this. Make a silicone master inside a plastic foundation, fill the master with slow curing epoxy resin, use the resin master to make a clay/plaster casting inside a wooden foundation.

Posted on: 2023/1/4 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi John,

I'm going to get you some prices - just need to know a little bit more about the pieces so feel free to email me at sales@whiteglovecollection.com or call me at 618 304 0907.

Thanks
Crin

Posted on: 2023/1/4 16:31
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

29- 640 Club Sedan
See User information
I have the same hardware for my 640 Club Sedan. It all needs to be plated. Was it Nickle or Chrome in the interior.

Posted on: 2023/1/8 22:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved