Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

starting problems with 1941 110
Just popping in
Just popping in

drjrharris
See User information
I have a 1941 Packard 110 & have difficulty restarting after its been driven for a while and then parked. When I try to start it 15 minutes later, no luck. If it sits for a while, starts right up. What do I need to do correct this problem?

drjrharris

Posted on: 2011/7/31 12:57
 Top  Print   

Re: starting problems with 1941 110
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Try to narrow it down to either too rich, too lean, or perhaps (less likely) an ignition problem - condensors and coils tend to act up when HOT.

First, try your choke unloader (pressing the gas pedal fully to the floor and holding it there while cranking). This forces the automatic choke valve open. If that works and it starts OK, then you've got a "rich" condition - leaking needle/seat, high float level, non-functioning anti-percolator valve, choke set too rich, etc. Check the carb over.

If that doesn't do it, could be fuel starvation - fuel boiling from the fuel bowl for example. Check for the insulator block beneath the carburetor (some models), carb heat shield (some models), fuel leaking from the carb fuel bowl or passage plug, or similar.

How hot was it when it happened? Could easily be vapor lock if the daytime temp was up in the high 90s or so. Search on vapor lock and you'll find a month's worth of reading here - no need to repeat it again.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 14:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
drjrharris wrote:I have a 1941 Packard 110.....
G'day drjrharris,
to PackardInfo, sorry you're experiencing hot starting difficulties but O_D's advice should assist in identifying and correcting this condition.

And I invite you to include your '41 110 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 16:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
you may want to check if the little flapper plate in the exhaust manjfold is stuck in the open position

Posted on: 2011/7/31 17:31
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

drjrharris
See User information
Thanks to all. Will be working on this next week

Jim

Posted on: 2011/7/31 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
I had the same problem with my 41 160 until I switched to 89 octane gasoline. I can't tell you why, but it worked.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My 56 Executive will do the same thing in hot weather. For now i just hold accelerator to floor when starting and it helps. We need a way to keep the carburetor cooler.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 22:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Some people are having good luck adding a little diesel fuel to the gasoline on fill ups. I havn't tried it yet.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 22:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved