Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 98

Don B, Packard Don, tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

4GC Rochester Carb for 1955
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Would be very interested in what you all think is causing this messy situation underneath my hood. The carb is seeping and I've tightened the 3 upper screws around the corner as tight as I'm comfortable. Normal? Does the fact that I have an electric fuel pump in operation most of the time lead to this?

Attach file:

jpg  (65.81 KB)
20_4e8e10b442c27.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (43.74 KB)
20_4e8e10c6bca27.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (41.55 KB)
20_4e8e10d6b187a.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (46.62 KB)
20_4e8e10fd2990e.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (44.90 KB)
20_4e8e11252c8c1.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (50.16 KB)
20_4e8e1141776a0.jpg 800X533 px

Posted on: 2011/10/6 15:36
 Top  Print   

Re: 4GC Rochester Carb for 1955
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, you can easily check the level of the floats by removing the plugs on the LH side of the carburetor. With the plugs out and the engine idling, you can look in the ports and should see fuel level just below the bottom of the ports. If fuel runs out of the ports (could be either primary or secondary, or both), the float(s) is/are probably too high or the needle and seat valve(s) is/are leaking. I would think that with this much fuel being expelled you would have noticed the engine running rough or flooding. I hope this helps.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/6 16:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In addition to a high fuel level or incorrect float settings or leaking needle and seat, of course higher than desired fuel pressure from an electric pump could contribute to the problem. Another concern is that overtightening of the cover plate screws will ultimate lead to warpage of the castings and when that occurs the gasket may be unable to provide a seal even against the random surging of fuel due to road motion. Really good rebuilders will check the flatness of the castings and correct them when possible.

After perhaps 10 years and 10,000 miles the exterior of my dual Rochesters are still nearly as pristine as when they were installed. They were rebuilt by Daytona Parts.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Thanks Owen. I have not noted any flooding issues whatsoever and I appreciate the info on Daytona. I have sent them an email and await a quote. I have another 7007230 on the shelf & will mail that off if they aren't outrageously expensive.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
I appreciate the info on Daytona. I have sent them an email and await a quote. I have another 7007230 on the shelf & will mail that off if they aren't outrageously expensive.
Depends upon your definition. Last ones I had done at Daytona were more than $400 each.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/10/7 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I had a carb rebuilt at a place called "Recarbo" in Pittsburg, Ca about 4 years ago. Have had no problems with it. Cost $225. I'm sure price has gone up since then.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 12:15
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Wonder if the ethanol in the newer fuel blends is eating the gaskets if the carbs had a older composition gasket kit in them.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 12:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day all, fascinating what you learn on this site. I've just reset the float level and drop to factory spec's on the Rochester 4GC on my '56 Patrician, and wondered about how accurate my settings were. Reading about the two screws on the side of the carby that could be removed for inspection purposes gave me the advice I thought I needed. Unfortunately, the '56 4GC doesn't come equipped with these screws, or mine doesn't anyway. I wonder why Packard dropped this useful analytical component (???). Also, before the rebuild my carby was leaking and I suspect it was a combination of a very worn accelerator pump and too high a float level on the secondaries. Regards, John

Posted on: 2011/10/11 0:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
JP -

Don't blame Packard for removal of those screws, but the supplier, Rochester Products Division of GM. Though convenient, perhaps they considered potential liability if any leaks developed.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 11:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
JP -

Don't blame Packard for removal of those screws, but the supplier, Rochester Products Division of GM. Though conveient, perhaps they considered potential liability if any leaks developed.

I doubt it was lawyer concerns as much as cost concerns. It probably cost an extra penny or two per carb to provide and machine for the screws. With millions of 4GCs made, that adds up.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 11:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved