Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 247

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When I still have the correct size/shape hose but it's old beyond use, I just take it to the local auto parts store where the owner is kind enough to let me rattle around thru the hundreds that are in stock, and invariably I find a hose with a suitable section in it, buy it and just off off the unwanted end(s). Also, if you got the wrong part from Kanter, you should have called them and returned it for either the correct one, or a refund.

I just abhor those ribbed "one size fits all" hoses, to me they show an owner too lazy to do it right to attend to the smaller details - make you wonder how much attnetion he paid to the big issues.

Posted on: 2008/10/18 8:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also, the ribbed hoses will fatigue and break off the radiator snouts over a period of time. I've used them for temporary repair or in cases of streight-length application like on some flat head fords but they should really be avoided when they have to conform to a shape that stresses them to any significant extent past their free shape.

Posted on: 2008/10/18 9:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Excellent point!

Posted on: 2008/10/18 9:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote:.......Also, if you got the wrong part from Kanter, you should have called them and returned it for either the correct one, or a refund......

Dave,

Problem was that I ordered and received the parts when work started on my '41 but it was well over 6 months later when time came to mount these parts and the discrepancy was noticed.

Posted on: 2008/10/18 17:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That was my problem also. I bought the hose set 18 months ago, and it didnt try to test fit the upper hose until now.

No big worries, I will get one from the local parts store. Perhaps it was just a packaging problem. Maybe Mal got the one I was supposed to have, and I got his!

Posted on: 2008/10/19 14:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I went to Kragen Auto parts (O-Reilys, or whatever its called in your neck of the woods) and found Goodyear radiator hose #60751. This hose is too long, but has a rigid 90 degree bend in it. So I just had to cut it down to the needed size. So for $15 I have a hose that will work. I also bought enough heater hose to replace all the old hose that came with my car.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.33 KB)
1_48fbe2b8efa94.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (63.60 KB)
1_48fbe2dc916f8.jpg 800X713 px

Posted on: 2008/10/19 20:46
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Lookin' good. When's the big day to fire it up and see if your hard work works.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 20:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I still have to replace the transmisson lines, and drop the transmission pan and clean the filter out. I will also need to put the heater valve back in place so I can the rest of the hoses hooked up. Then I can try to start car feeding it from a gas can, and hot wired temporarly.

I still need to replace all of the wire harness, and drop the gas tank, and replace the fuel lines and brake lines. So those are the next projects.

I want to get it driveable by the end of winter. Then I can move on the body work and interior.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 21:05
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
where did you get your hose clamps....they look period correct...but i don't think i saw anything like that on my 55, course mine could have all been replaced.

are those correct clamps....and if so where did you get them?

also, isn't the correct heater hose color supposed to be red??? red was for hot, right??? do they make it in red anymore?

also i fixed my firefox issue ;0)

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/10/19 21:17
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well the strap-screw type came with the hose set I bought from Kanters. But then after reading the PI Judging guide I came across this:

Hose Clamps:

YEAR: 51-56
TYPE: All are wire except for the inlet side of the water pump which uses the strap screw type.

What you see in my picture matches the example picture that the PI judging guide cites in their guide. So I bought an entire bag of the spring wire clamps from eBay about a year ago.

As far as the hoses go, I think they were originally all black. I think some of the after market hose companies used those red hoses, and some cars were just changed to those over the years. The PI judging guide shows all the hoses as black in their examples.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 22:37
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved