Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

JW49, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: tracking down ticking noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I always understood you retorque the head bolts while the engine is still hot on cast iron heads? That is the way the say in the repair manuals.

Posted on: 2019/6/20 8:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I would try spraying GumOut down the carburetor throat with the motor racing on fast idle. If the noise changes the likely culprit is sticking valves.

In the old days before reproduction parts the old timers had success pulling the valves, polishing the stems with crocus cloth, and cleaning the guides with a wire brush on a drill.

When I faced these problems I always recommended a complete valve job and refused to replace only the lifters due to the high failure probability.

The polishing method might be more suited to your situation given it will not affect the lifter pre-load.

Posted on: 2019/6/20 8:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Fred and Dan had a similar elusive problem with a 54, in the end we found a valve with a rusty stem making it stick a bit causing the tick. Turned out to be a tiny flaw in the cyl head letting water spray into the combustion chamber and rusting the valve stem creating gunk in the guide.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2019/6/20 8:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
Since I had the head off to replace the lifters, I removed all the valves, they were all cleaned before re-assembly. Everything in this engine is quite clean. It was rebuilt about 6 years ago(not by me), with not many miles since. No gunk anywhere. I don't think there is much chance of a sticking valve, but I will try the suggestion just to see if it affects the noise at all. Willing to try anything. I also tested the valve springs, which were fine as well. Did not have the head surfaced, so I don't think clearances have changed all that much.
The noise only starts after the motor has heated up, though now it comes on quicker - that is after only a few minutes. Before it took maybe twenty to thirty minutes to become noticable. Compression is 105 to 110 across all cylinders.

Posted on: 2019/6/21 18:07
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Is the ticking at crankshaft or camshaft speed? Knowing this will help narrow down you search for the problem. Fuel pumps can sometimes provide interesting noises. JWL

Posted on: 2019/6/22 11:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are starting to grasp for straws and the noise is crank speed there was a thread with an intermittent ticking noise which turned out to be the oil fill pipe was cocked or slightly rotated and the angled baffle at the bottom was being touched by a crank throw when it expanded. I don't remember which engine that happened on though. Since the oil fill tube is a press or friction fit possibly it was bumped.

Posted on: 2019/6/22 13:06
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I had a knocking noise in one of my cars (not Packard) and it was the engine mount...I was soooo relieved!! Check the engine mounts??

Posted on: 2019/12/1 16:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
This sounds like exactly the same problem I am having. It is driving me crazy.

Did you ever figure it out?

Btw, I checked compression (cold) and I had 120 psi in all the cylinders.

I did have an issue with oil in one of the cylinders, the one I thought had the bad lifters. I also had some issue with the head gasket in that cylinder. When I replaced the head gasket I checked the guides and they both seemed good (all the guides were new, I replaced each of them myself). I don't have a good explanation for that either, especially since the compression is good.

Posted on: 2021/10/26 22:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Check exhaust manifold.

Posted on: 2021/10/27 15:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
Check exhaust manifold.

I'll second this. My experience was non-Packard (my truck) and it had a constant tick. New manifolds and gaskets solved the issue. Perfectly quiet now.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/10/27 23:45
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved