Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 195

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Barn Find 1954 Caribbean
Just popping in
Just popping in

Atltee
See User information
Hello,

New to the Forum.

I have been offered a 1954 Caribbean that has been non running for 15 years.
Solid body but in a paint combo I cannot find in the literature. U = a light brown or a mocha color L = Ivory ??
Extra motor comes with the car as I am told original thru a rod.
Paint (assuming Lacquer) is checked and in many places flaking off.
Interior in remarkable condition considering the storage time. (in a heated building)

Questions.

1. How can I find engine codes to determine if spare is compatible? Number on spare is A(?)46881 3 and x 111853 (Casting Number?) I can share a photo.
2. I have yet to see any photo in all Caribbean ads of this color combo. It does not appear to have been repainted. Convert top is light brown. How do I determine if this if factory?
3. The grill is broken. Bumber is fine. Is the grill common to other Caribbean models of adjacent years?
4. How do I determine a value knowing a lot of cosmetics are required. (little or no rust)?

Any input will bwe appreciated.

Atltee

Posted on: Today 19:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Barn Find 1954 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check the motor number stamped on a smoothed pad above the starter motor. The 54 Caribbean would have the one year only 359 engine with the aluminum head which starts with the letter M. The second digit would be a 6 for the 359.. Any other year engine starts with a different letter and while the other engines would bolt in and be perfectly serviceable, in 54 nothing but the 359 would be correct in that car.

Click to see original Image in a new window

On the paint colors, is that U and L an actual code or just stand for upper and lower? As I recall, in 54 models unless it has been damaged or fallen off the paint and trim codes are found written or printed on a paper label on one side of the glove drawer or sometimes in the back. Packard would often do special colors and combos if a customer wanted to pay for it and styling approved but usually there was a special code designation or even nothing written in the paint code location. Any chance the light brown or mocha color is actually a very dirty and possibly oxidized Matador Maroon? Here is a list of the standard 54 colors and codes. A couple of more colors and combinations were added around midway in production.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 20:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Would ballpark 15-20k value for nice interior, non running but turns over, needs exterior work, negligible rust.

Posted on: Today 20:35
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Atltee wrote:
Hello,

New to the Forum.

I have been offered a 1954 Caribbean that has been non running for 15 years.
Solid body but in a paint combo I cannot find in the literature. U = a light brown or a mocha color L = Ivory ??
Extra motor comes with the car as I am told original thru a rod.
Paint (assuming Lacquer) is checked and in many places flaking off.
Interior in remarkable condition considering the storage time. (in a heated building)

Questions.

1. How can I find engine codes to determine if spare is compatible? Number on spare is A(?)46881 3 and x 111853 (Casting Number?) I can share a photo.
2. I have yet to see any photo in all Caribbean ads of this color combo. It does not appear to have been repainted. Convert top is light brown. How do I determine if this if factory?
3. The grill is broken. Bumber is fine. Is the grill common to other Caribbean models of adjacent years?
4. How do I determine a value knowing a lot of cosmetics are required. (little or no rust)?

Any input will bwe appreciated.

Atltee

These Caribbeans were not really fully built by or at Packard. They were done by Mitchell-Bentley Corp. FOR Packard. M-B had certain limitations and practices. So.

In order to keep guessing to a minimum, the absolute best thing to do is to take and post photos. The more, the better. Be sure to take pics of the serial plate in the driver's door jamb.

Brown is certainly not a color for the original top fabric.

Again, let's see photos. And take clear photos of any labels on the right-hand side of the pull-out glove box drawer.

Posted on: Today 20:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Atltee,
to PackardInfo.

If you purchase this '54 Caribbean I invite you to include it in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: Today 21:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I say buy it, spend ridiculous amounts of time, money, and energy on it, and have an amazing car! One day I hope a 53 Caribbean will come my way!

Posted on: Today 21:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved