Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
49 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 48

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carburetor WCFB 4-Barrel
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
My next project, which I've been avoiding, is rebuilding my carb. I've been avoiding it because my car is running well and I don't want to mess it up. But I want to get seals, pump, etc in that are compatiable with modern fuels.

Any words of wisdom as I tackle this project? I'm thinking it should be pretty straight forward, and that as long as everything is set/adjusted correctly I should be good to go.

I have this good step by step video from Mike's Carburetor.
https://youtu.be/CoxRuNKCW_w?si=IDZsjVhFTlyrpXe_

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 9:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Carburetor WCFB 4-Barrel
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I rebuilt the carb for my 400. Started on a dime when I reinstalled it, with no leaks, but I still need to tune it up. It's not too hard if you have some basic aptitude. Lots of small parts though.

Don't bend the floats against the valves. Support them fully or remove them when making adjustments, then reinstall and check.

Check for pin holes by dipping them in hot water for a few seconds.

Obviously when reinstalling the air horn, you want to tighten over several passes. Most recommend center out to help relieve the gasket.

Posted on: Today 9:35
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
With anything I am taking apart for the first time, I always take an ungodly amount of pictures. Screw out, take a picture showing the screw size and the hole it went I to. Repeat.

This really helped when I had things apart and walked for days weeks, months...etc. Also everything goes into labeled ziplock bags if being stored for awhile.

Then to reassemble, I can just look at the pictures in reverse order.

Also if you have something like a cafeteria tray, or your wife's finest cookie sheet (any tray with a lip), it helps to contain the parts. Especially check balls that tend to roll away when you're not looking.

If you haven't already, buy a one of those gallon cans of carb chem dip. The one that comes with the little basket inside. It works a jiffy to soak carb bodies and other parts to remove varnish from the inside of small internal passages.

Sometimes the sheets that come with the rebuild kits are better than the general Packard Factory Service manuals as far as details. Also if you have access to a vintage Motor Manual or Glenn's Manual they tend to have better details as well.

Finally, if you haven't downloaded the Packard Service Man's Training Manual for your type of Carb. They cover a lot of info, and theory so understand what does what.

Posted on: Today 10:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm one of those people who can take something apart, then (literally) decades later put it back together again without any problem. However, now that I have a way to photograph things easily rather than getting out the old Polaroid for an occasional shot, I do as 53 Cavalier does by photographing everything and use the photos as a guide. Maybe age or just lack of practice while all my cars sat dormant for so long but I find that the photos are extremely helpful and even fun to look at later.

As for carburetor rebuilding, these are quite easy so just watch out for small parts. Work on a flat table with a cloth under the work in case a ball comes rolling out or the like. These little things are generally included in the kit anyway but why take chances!

The buckets of Chem-Dip have gotten very expensive so, rather than having caustic chemicals around, I use an ultrasonic cleaner, placing the part into a small container with some less caustic cleaner, then running it in the machine. Of course, for only one or two cars that might not be practical but with all mine (I have eight) it seemed the way to go.

Posted on: Today 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I see you have already found Mike's Carburetor on youtube. He has an excellent video about correctly setting the metering rods. www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QgjJYjErZ8
It took me less than 15 minutes with a screwdriver to solve a couple issues with mine. I was running too rich.

Posted on: Today 11:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved