Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

BigKev, Don 37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Stock Air conditioning in a 56 Packard V8. To do or not to do?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Cohocom
See User information
I'm currently in the process of restoring my 1956 Packard Executive. Back in 1988 I removed a complete dash based AC system from a 1955 Patrician parts car including the dash top & pad with the cut outs for the vents. Question is? How efficient is the stock set up & are there parts out there to rebuild the compressor & other associated components? Is it more trouble then its worth? Go vintage air? Has anyone figured out if it is doable to hide a modern compressor in the old housing? So... will I be cool or just look cool? Thanks!

Posted on: Today 15:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Stock Air conditioning in a 56 Packard V8. To do or not to do?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To answer the most important question, parts for the compressor are all but extinct. The rest of the system except for maybe the hoses is usable but the question then becomes what refrigerant you are going to use. R12 is now highly frowned upon, highly regulated and very expensive in the US and the system requires a fair amount of it. Don't know if Canada is the same or not. Modern replacements such as R134a at a minimum needs new barrier type hoses because of the smaller molecule which finds its way out of the old rubber hoses and old style flare fittings. It also needs different oil and works at different prssures so adjustments to the valves will most likely be needed to have them work. There is some question if there is enough range on the valves to get the evaporator pressure down to the range where it was designed to work. Because of the smaller molecule there is also a question if the seal in the compressor would hold it. I know there were other replacements being used after 134 but don't know for sure if anyone has tried them to see if they are better fits to the old components.

As far as I know there have been no trying to fit a modern compressor in an old housing but there have been many conversions to a Sanden compressor. The original system works on what is called hot gas bypass temperature control. That bypass is performed by a modulator valve that opens to shunt refrigerant around the evaporator if it tries to get colder than the specified temperature. Most modern auto AC places have never worked on or even heard of that system so fining a competent mechanic might be an issue. One who doesn't understand how it works to troubleshoot can do damage -- ask me how I know.

A fellow in Southern Calif and I both bought modern components and expansion valves along with hoses and hard tubing to use the better sealing methods available today. A different evaporator was placed in the original case. In his car he is trying to keep the old compressor but I went with the Sanden. We both eliminated the gas bypass and fixed temperature modulator valve setup and went to the modern cycling clutch control by the addition of a modern thermostat setup. I did my conversion several years ago and went with R134a at the time but Pete is just finishing his but don't remember if he mentioned which refrigerant he is using.

Posted on: Today 16:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The one company that was rebuilding these components no longer is doing so and parts are few and far between. I’m in the same boat when I was ready to send off my own compressor and was informed that they are no longer doing them! Many people change over to a more modern Sanden compressor but I prefer stock so may have to buy more cores to get one good one. Fortunately my car, for some odd reason, came with the extra compressor pulley on the crank as those are hard to find too. Don’t forget that the fan, radiator, and transmission cooler are also different. Converting it all to work with R134a is the next issue and there are changes that need to be made for it to work.

What Howard said about hoses is correct but with a stipulation. It is very true when using new hoses that they must be for R134a but old original seasoned hoses can be used with it without any issues.

Posted on: Today 16:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
What Howard said about hoses is correct but with a stipulation. It is very true when using new hoses that they must be for R134a but old original seasoned hoses can be used with it without any issues.

Don, this may be true up to a point but according to several old car forums the leakage rate is fairly high thru the old hoses and sometimes a full charge only lasts a season before needing a top off. As mentioned, don't remember what Pete said about refrigerant he is using on his almost finished conversion but when I talked to him a couple of weeks ago he said he wound up having new barrier type hoses made but I don't remember if leaks or needing different fittings was the reason..

If he sees this thread and has comments he might supply better info on refrigerants and even have a number for the evaporator used because his fit the old case better than the one I chose.

Posted on: Today 16:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Cohocom,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '56 Executive in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

And good luck with your A/C.

Posted on: Today 17:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I am working on a reproduction AC system that looks the same on the interior of the car but uses new type components. Not sure if this is something you would want to buy.

Hope to have this ready by next summer or so.

Posted on: Today 17:22
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved