Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 166

Packard Newbie, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Stock Air conditioning in a 56 Packard V8. To do or not to do?
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
55 and 56 but only the latter was negative ground.

Posted on: Yesterday 16:39
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Stock Air conditioning in a 56 Packard V8. To do or not to do?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Cohocom wrote:
I'm currently in the process of restoring my 1956 Packard Executive. Back in 1988 I removed a complete dash based AC system from a 1955 Patrician parts car including the dash top & pad with the cut outs for the vents. Question is? How efficient is the stock set up & are there parts out there to rebuild the compressor & other associated components? Is it more trouble then its worth? Go vintage air? Has anyone figured out if it is doable to hide a modern compressor in the old housing? So... will I be cool or just look cool? Thanks!

Hello,

The 1955-56 Packard factory air conditioning system was very efficient and in some ways it was over-engineered. It was one of the industry's MOST advanced A/C systems. 1955-56 Packard A/C was wayyyy ahead of most of the industry with its theater style front-mounted units flowing rearward rather than rear-to front. Or top-down arrangements that could freeze bald heads while the rest of the customer was sweating.

You may want to note that 1955 and 1956 systems differed slightly, particularly in the hoses. The 1955 hoses had a braided covering while the 1956 hoses had no such covering.

But whether you plan on using freon R-12 or newer R-134 refrigerant, I still strongly suggest that you do R-134 grade hoses. The cost of R-12 alone (ask me how I know) and the hassle of finding it (actually illegal in some places) would all offset the cost of R-134-grade hoses.

RE: the original Lehigh V-4 compressor... These look lovely and are certainly original. But finding a working one and /or parts to repair one? OMG! There are a few out there still working today, but how long could Noah tread water? I have suggested that (like some people are doing with car batteries on vintage cars) 3-D modeling on a case facade that could be mounted over a Sanden compressor for display purposes is a possibility. Otherwise it is a matter of how deep are your pockets? How extensive are your parts resources?

IF you want your A/C system to actually work, then you may be looking at a reality of a modern Sanden cycling compressor. Even if temporary. And believe me, I am not at all a fan of modifications on Packards. And I don't put this in the category of "disc brakes" or nitrous.

Meanwhile... things always change, so hang onto your Lehigh compressor. Somebody MAY eventually have another re-build business.

Posted on: Today 14:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved