Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 110

HH56, John Sauser, Packard Don, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Straight Eight engine number/cid
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I'm wondering how to decode the number 42B409 cast into the head of a Packard Straight Eight. This number is followed by a large, cast number 288. Then there is a space of a couple inches and the letters STD, followed by a short space and the number 327.

Was a single head casting used for both the 288 cid and the 327 cid, and if so, which size lurks beneath this head, according to the first number, or does that number not identify the displacement?

Thanks for any info you can provide...

Posted on: 2011/7/16 14:56
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: Straight Eight engine number/cid
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are a couple of counselor articles addressing different heads and compression ratios. They are earlier articles but applicable to all the later S8s--except maybe the 359. Check outhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL24NO7.pdf andhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL25NO4.pdf for starters. I believe there is another later one or at least a book article more to your specific question and how heads were marked. Can't think of which or where it is right now. Believe the STD stood for standard trans and the 327 indicated the optional ratio for that engine but don't remember the exact combination.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 15:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Many makers at that time gave their automatic equipped cars slightly more power. This was to compensate for the power lost to the automatic transmission.

One way to do this was increase the compression ratio.

A 288 head on a 327 would give more compression. This did no harm as the automatic made it impossible to lug the engine, even for the least skilled driver.

So my guess is the same head was used on 288 standard transmission cars, and 327 Ultramatics.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 18:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
Rusty O\'Toole wrote:
Many makers at that time gave their automatic equipped cars slightly more power. This was to compensate for the power lost to the automatic transmission.

One way to do this was increase the compression ratio.

A 288 head on a 327 would give more compression. This did no harm as the automatic made it impossible to lug the engine, even for the least skilled driver.

So my guess is the same head was used on 288 standard transmission cars, and 327 Ultramatics.

OK, so the only way to determine the real displacement of this engine is from the number on the left (drivers' side) of the block?

Quote:
by HH56 on 2011/7/16 13:27:39

There are a couple of counselor articles addressing different heads and compression ratios. They are earlier articles but applicable to all the later S8s--except maybe the 359. Check outhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL24NO7.pdf andhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL25NO4.pdf for starters. I believe there is another later one or at least a book article more to your specific question and how heads were marked. Can't think of which or where it is right now. Believe the STD stood for standard trans and the 327 indicated the optional ratio for that engine but don't remember the exact combination.

Thanks, I'll look up the articles, but not quite clear on the "327 indicated the optional ratio" part, does that mean optional compression ratio?

Posted on: 2011/7/18 21:12
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
HH56,

Not much on the links, unfortunately. They gave a part number for the high-compression head for 288 in the second Service Advisor, but it did not match the number cast into the head (42B409) I mentioned earlier.

Posted on: 2011/7/18 21:27
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Somewhere I posted a list I made of all the p/n's and heads they match as well as what cars they came on. Remember the number on the head is NOT a part number, but is a casting number. So that will not match up to the factory part number list.

Posted on: 2011/7/18 21:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks, Kev, for verifying that. I'll get back with an engine number.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 18:07
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Kev & All,

Here's a straight 8 engine number off an engine with no known model year or cubic inch displacement. Can you tell the year and cid from it?

h225423

I could not figure out how to hunt down this info on the forum, but would have if I could. Is there a way to do that should I need to in the future?

Posted on: 2011/7/31 16:15
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
The Packard Engine Serial Number Reference in the Packard Literature and Manuals section identifies H225423 as a '49 288, 135hp, 5 bearings, solid lifters.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 16:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Guy (55PackardGuy), there you'll find related stuff.

Quote:
Somewhere I posted a list...

Kevin, this way please.

Edit: Outpaced by Mal, the Australian tracking dog!

Posted on: 2011/7/31 16:26
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved