Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Opinions of radials on late 30's and 40's Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I would love to hear the thoughts from Packard owners about running radials instead of bias ply tires on our Packards.

Posted on: 2016/9/12 4:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Opinions of radials on late 30's and 40's Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Can't run a comparison between bias and radials because I've only ever had radials. Been running Diamondback 7.00 x 15 radials on my '41 120 Coupe since getting it on the road at the beginning of 2009. Well over 15,000 miles to date and still plenty of tread left. Hard steering for parking, etc but once you're moving easy to steer. Only drawback, from my perspective, is that they ride hard because they are made from Yokohama Toyo light truck cases. They are tubeless and mounted on the stock '41 rims without any problems. Oh, two other "little" drawbacks are because they are wide whitewalls, 1) The whitewalls scuff easily and I hate cleaning them! And 2) The whitewalls have bubbles around their inner edges. No dramas there, just unsightly and I know of a couple of other Diamondback users here who have the same problem.

Posted on: 2016/9/12 6:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I've not run as many miles as Mal, but no problems on my 41. I would not try to fit them in sidemount wells and covers though. The 16" rims do limit the choices more. Mal, is your car on 15" or 16" wheels?

Posted on: 2016/9/12 8:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
If you can purchase them, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will clean your whitewalls quickly with little effort. My daughter recommended it and she was right (after I doubted her).

Posted on: 2016/9/12 8:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I've driven two identical chassis, one with radials and one without: 1940 1808 and a 1942 2008. Both had their front ends rebuilt. I could not tell much difference between the two. I prefer the bias ply.

Posted on: 2016/9/12 8:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I changed over to radials on my 38 coupe and did find a difference in handling to the better. I too have the Diamondback 700R 15 Whitewalls. I use a product from Casterol called Super Clean and it does a GREAT job on the white walls.

Posted on: 2016/9/12 9:28
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I run American Classic whitewall high-profile radials on my Clipper. At first glance, they look just like bias ply tires. Handling, braking, and cornering are very good.

On to the topic of cleaning whitewalls. I am intrigued by the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I have tried Simple Green with so-so results and Bleche White, which works well. I once saw a guy take Ajax to his whitewalls, which I thought was nuts.

One of the more interesting things I have seen was a guy detailing his 1966 Lincoln Continental with ... Windex! I didn't believe it at first; I thought maybe he was using a detailing solution in the Windex spray bottle, but no, it really was Windex. He told me that Windex works very well as a detailer because it is mostly water with a little bit of ammonia, which cleans but does not take off wax or damage paint.

That was certainly a cheaper solution to detailing than some of the expensive detailers I have used!

Posted on: 2016/9/12 11:45
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...We run radials on our 1949 Deluxe 'Miss Princess. She goes along nicely and no longer tries to follow the seams in the road. The ride is as it should be for an elderly Packard. She has always been hard to turn/steer when stopped or going less than five miles an hour. Over five, she steers like a lady and goes down the road like her modern sisters. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/9/12 12:05
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
bkazmer wrote:......Mal, is your car on 15" or 16" wheels?

In '41 believe 110's, 120's and Clippers were on 15" wheels. While 160's & 180's used 16". So for me 15".

Thanks to all for the advice on white wall cleaners, have to see if I can find them here in Oz.

Posted on: 2016/9/12 15:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
bias ply and tubes on my 37. rides like a dream. handles fine. can't tell much of any difference to a radial I drive everyday on.

drive over the same railroad tracks to get out of my neighborhood...Packard with bias ply tires floats right over like a dreamy cloud. love it!

Posted on: 2016/9/12 16:07
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved