Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

'41 120 Gas Tank
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
The gas tank on my '41 120 over the years accumulated much rust and flaking off of material inside and after having it cleaned, it developed at least two leaks near previously rather large areas of solder. I belive the sheet metal wall on the bottom is now too thin and I'm looking for options. Have checked one Packard vendor and they are out; the other is out of town for a few days. The first shop can do the Gas Tank Renu process but from the time I had this done a decade ago, the price is now right at $500. I'm trying to find a substitute tank, a new cheaper substitute. A '41-48 Chevy I though looked close but the pickup tube and filler tube are 180 degrees from where I need them. Since this '41 120 has a wide hose connection for the filler tube, if I can find a tank of suitable size, I can cut the metal filler tube off if necessary. Looking for a suitable tank of dimesnions 30-32" wide, 18-20" long, and about 9" tall with filler tube on the driver side. Anyone have any ideas? I've looked at some Hudsons, Frazers, and even Mopars but can find nothing that will fit. This tank is a classical rectangular shape.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 21:31
 Top  Print   

Re: '41 120 Gas Tank
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know if this place has any catalogs with dimensions or could help over the phone but have often thought some of the Ford tanks look promising for our cars.
http://www.classiccarautoparts.com/gastanks_ford.html

Posted on: 2009/4/29 21:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
Looked at all those and only 2 or 3 even have any potential at all based on the geometry and dimensions. Amazinf how many different tanks are out there and none with the basic simple design of the 120.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 17:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you checked with that outfit in Canada that specializes in new replacement gas tanks? Can't think of their name at the moment. I inquired a few years back about Packard and they said they might consider some Packard tanks in the future, at the moment they were just doing the BIG-3 (perhaps soon to be the Big-1).

Posted on: 2009/4/30 18:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sorry nothing looked like it would work. I don't remember the 120 tank well but was thinking some looked promising for the 51-6 & maybe earlier.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 18:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
With the uncertainty of something else fitting, I'm just going to send it off and have it renued and be done with it; never have to worry about it again in my lifetime. I've looked on several websites and in several catlogs and just could not come up with anything. I think it would be easier with a '51-56 and I know Keith from up Nashville way retrofitted some kind of tank to his Executive years ago.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 21:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Drat! I've been hoping there would be a magic answer for this multi-year tank stamping. Now all I want to know is what is the secret to removing a 41 tank. I passed this topic in the service letters looking for something else today and they made it sound simple...

Posted on: 2009/4/30 23:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
The '41 tank is quite easy to remove.
1. Disconnect the sending unit wire and hose from the pickup tube mounted in the same plate on the front of the tank and this can be done without removing the tank first. The plate is held in by rotating the holder on top CCW and this is done by lightly tapping on one of the three raised edges with a blunt object until it rotates enough to clear the little flanges it catches under.
2. Disconnect the 2.5" O.D. filler tube hose at the tank and just pull the filler tube out or aside.
3. I put a jack under the tank with a pad and eased it up to just barely touch the tank.
4. Then I believe it is 9/16" (might be 1/2, but pretty sure it is 9/16) wrench to loosen the two strap bolts nuts at the rear, keeping them loosened the same amount all the way until the tank begins to drop onto the padded jack.
5. Then slide the tank out.
6. Actually one of the easiest I have hed to remove among several.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 17:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Trog wrote: The '41 tank is quite easy to remove.......
2. Disconnect the 2.5" O.D. filler tube hose at the tank and just pull the filler tube out or aside.......
5. Then slide the tank out.......

Would have loved to be able to do step 2 but my '41 120 fuel tank has a metal filler tube without a rubber section between it and the actual filler. If it had it would have made step 5 very easy. And it wasn't so much the removal of the tank it's more the re-installation that's a problem with a complete filler neck

Attach file:

jpg  (21.84 KB)
226_49fb7ad4f1ebb.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2009/5/1 17:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
Whoa! Mine just has about 1.5" of metal tube extended to where the hose connects with a hose clamp. Yours indeed looks very difficult to maneuver around the frame pieces. And the metal tube looks longer than my hose + tube length. Mine does not reach all the way up to the filler door but is recessed some. Both sending unit and gauge on mine are faulty and while the sending unit/pickup tube combo is available by exchange, it is I think $175 or more. The gauge I just do not see me under that dash wiht the clutch pedal in my neck trying to remove it.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 21:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved